Cornelius

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm considering getting a corny kegging system.

BUT, I don't have space for a fridge.

I'm planning on using the kegging system in the Winter, when I can leave it in the shed and it will be pretty cold and continuing to bottle in the Summer.

What problems do you foresee with this plan?

Or should I just stick with my bottles?

Opinions and advice welcome!

JT

I don't see a big problem. I have a fridge but it is through in the spare room. When I'm drinking it I tend to bring it through to the living room. Sometimes I'll stick the keg in a bucket of water and ice which keeps it cold for the evening.

It certainly beats bottling up and I think it tastes better as well when kegged.

If your shed gets below freezing in the middle of winter you could have a few problems, i assume you plan on bringing the keg inside for serving rather than going out to the shed everytime you want a pint. If you are able to pipe the beer thru from the shed to a tap inside the house it will need good insulation to prevent freezing where it meets cold air outside and heat inside.

If your shed gets below freezing in the middle of winter you could have a few problems, i assume you plan on bringing the keg inside for serving rather than going out to the shed everytime you want a pint. If you are able to pipe the beer thru from the shed to a tap inside the house it will need good insulation to prevent freezing where it meets cold air outside and heat inside.

It's a brick shed and it doesn't get below 0 - we have our washing machine in there.

I was thinking about popping outside and filling a growler up every now and again.

Would there be any adverse affects on the system due to fluctuations in temperature?

It's a brick shed and it doesn't get below 0 - we have our washing machine in there.

I was thinking about popping outside and filling a growler up every now and again.

Would there be any adverse affects on the system due to fluctuations in temperature?

You may have issues with getting consistent carbonation and some frothing if it heats up.

You could utilise one of these
http://www.geterbrewed.com/cool-brewing-bag/

4A4A513F-091D-4EE8-958B-F23B45981C78.jpg

and some frozen water bottles to stabilise temperature rise. You can easily fit in 2 corny kegs (possibly 3)

Warmer beer requires more carbonation but that isn't a big problem. I've a fridge but as our regular fridge has broken, my wife has hijacked it for our food (sickening, who needs food).

In fairness if I had to do things over I'd concentrate on other parts of my brewing before a corny system. I use the corny for my house stout but not much else, I'd rather bottle or mini keg.

Have you tried mini kegs or the tap a draft system?

Can't you put the fridge in the shed? A fridge off Gumtree will set you back at most £30. Surely that's expendable? You will get more consistent brews and better beers with one. I'd go for a fridge first and corny set up later tbh.

Dads_ale linked the brew bag for his cornies (I have one) they supposed to be for fermentating your brew but DA has 're-tasked' his. However the company that make the brew bag (cool brewing) have started to make corny specific bags. When they'll be over here I dont know but you could perhaps email the company?

Back