Dry hopping.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeyboi

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to brew a coopers euro lager and a coopers Mexican cervasa. I have brought 100g of cascade pellets too add to some brews. I'm not really looking for a bitter taste but I feel these kits need more aroma. I'm thinking I will just bung 50g into each batch before I pitch the yeast. I have read that some people add hops in a Muslin bag 3-4 days in etc but I've also read to through them in. I will be lagering the lager so looking about 12 weeks till drinking, I know I could lose the hoppyness over time. Can anybody give me some advice on this please.

Jake

Hi,

I am about to brew a coopers euro lager and a coopers Mexican cervasa. I have brought 100g of cascade pellets too add to some brews. I'm not really looking for a bitter taste but I feel these kits need more aroma. I'm thinking I will just bung 50g into each batch before I pitch the yeast. I have read that some people add hops in a Muslin bag 3-4 days in etc but I've also read to through them in. I will be lagering the lager so looking about 12 weeks till drinking, I know I could lose the hoppyness over time. Can anybody give me some advice on this please.

Jake

if you are really lagering for 12 weeks then put the hops in 5 days before bottling/kegging. this works for whatever beer you're doing.

i've thrown them in and used a sanitised bag - i've had more success with the sanitised bag.

Ok, how do u think the cascade will taste? Do u think 50g is enough? Do u suspend the bag in the middle of the fv? Soooo many questions

Ok, how do u think the cascade will taste? Do u think 50g is enough? Do u suspend the bag in the middle of the fv? Soooo many questions
Boil the bag for 5 minutes with 2 teaspoons. when it cools down a bit put spoons in bag with hops...tie up end..chuck it in. (Its what I do with all my hop additions)
put your FV somewhere cold for 5 days and then bottle/keg

It's not often that you add hops to the FV at the start of the fermentation, it's normally done at the end as a 'dry hop'.
Try this for a bit more background
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61045
Dry hopping quantity is down to the hop used and your personal taste. One person may think x gram of a particular hop is too much, someone else may think its not enough
That said 50g Cascade dry hop should go a long way.
In your case if you are dry hopping at lagering temperatures (<5*C?) before you bottle bear in mind that you may find that you don't get the hops giving up their 'goodness' as much as you would like. That's because dry hopping works better at higher temperatures, say 15-20*C.
I used to use a large muslin bag weighted down with four or five SS dessert spoons for dry hopping, but I have recently found that I get better dry hop results from chucking the hop pellets in as they are, and then using a small nylon sock (from a Festival kit) over the end of the siphon tube to keep the hop bits in the FV and not carried forward to the PB or bottles.

Thanks for the tips, the fv will be in the brew fridge for 4 weeks. I will put 50g in a sanitized Muslin bag and some spoons 3 days before the 4 weeks is up then I plan on taking it up to 18c for 2 days before bottling. Does that sound good?

Thanks
Jake

P.s will the hops change the SG?

You could make a tea by putting the bag of hops in a cup pour on boiling water allow to cool and pitch bag and tea into fv

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips, the fv will be in the brew fridge for 4 weeks. I will put 50g in a sanitized Muslin bag and some spoons 3 days before the 4 weeks is up then I plan on taking it up to 18c for 2 days before bottling. Does that sound good?
P.s will the hops change the SG?
I would give it 5 days at 18*C at the end of the four weeks, and not bother with the two days at low temperature.
The hops have no fermentable sugars at all so will not affect the SG.

Latest posts

Back