Session IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've managed to work in an extra brew day at the end of November and have decided I want to do a session IPA. I like IPAs but don't really like drinking beer over 5%.

If I base my recipe on the original Punk IPA, add a touch of crystal malt and move the hops forward to reduce the IBUs whilst keeping all of the flavour and aroma hops, would it work or would it be overkill and I should be concentrating on keeping the addition profile the same as the original Punk recipe and reducing the quantity of hops?
IMG_1419.png

IMG_1417.png

IMG_1418.png

The 2nd image contains some of the hops from
The first image, it's only the bottom 2 that are new

This is similar to the hop schedule I use except I start at 20 mins and do additions every 5 mins. 20 mins is supposed to cover the flavour and aroma timeframe. It also allows me to pack in more hops without over bittering. That said for my tastes I would probably add a few more IBUs going for about 40 to 45.

This is similar to the hop schedule I use except I start at 20 mins and do additions every 5 mins. 20 mins is supposed to cover the flavour and aroma timeframe. It also allows me to pack in more hops without over bittering. That said for my tastes I would probably add a few more IBUs going for about 40 to 45.

Great, thanks. Glad to see I'm not a million miles away. Because I'm keeping the ABV low I want to keep the IBUs quite low too (especially since I've had quite bad efficiency issues on my last 2 brews), might bump it to 35 or so.

The problem I find with a lot of session IPAs is that they are very thin bodied, almost like drinking hop flavoured soda water. So if it were me I'd add more crystal malt and mash nice and high, plus a few % of oats is great for adding mouthfeel. That is of course just personal taste. Also the hop bill looks great.

The problem I find with a lot of session IPAs is that they are very thin bodied, almost like drinking hop flavoured soda water. So if it were me I'd add more crystal malt and mash nice and high, plus a few % of oats is great for adding mouthfeel. That is of course just personal taste. Also the hop bill looks great.

Thanks! It was the hop bill I was concerned about so both replies have put my mind at ease somewhat (although it's mainly just the hop bill from the original Punk IPA moved to later in the book to reduce my IBUs). When I get round to making/ordering it I'll bump up the crystal a bit.

Latest posts

Back