My Xmas brew 2016 adding cocoa nibs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjt29

Reaction score
A bit late this year in brewing my Xmas ale, but its been fermenting since 5/10/16 and is nearly done.

This year, I just used an English special bitter recipe and added chocolate malt, black malt, molasses and cinnamon into the mix :)

OG was 1.062 so hoping for a nice 6 plus % ale, anyway the other day after taking a gravity reading the cinnamon flavour was very strong, so it got me thinking of adding something else and I came up with Cocoa Nibs.

I ordered 250g and they have arrived, just need to work out how to add them and thought id ask your thoughts on it, having read numerous ways of adding them.

The most popular seems to be soak them in vodka for a few days and add them to secondary, i don't usually do a secondary but think i may with this one.

Another suggestion is to roast them then add them, another is to boil in water and add them...

Anyone with experience of this? Cause I sure haven't!

My main concern is sanitation of the nibs and I am swaying towards boiling them in a small amount of water.

I will be bottling this when done,
Cheers
Jay :)

D'oh! I wish I'd read this post yesterday... Last night I added cocoa nibs to an oatmeal milk stout that I'm brewing for Christmas, but I just chucked them straight in the FV! Hopefully I've not infected the brew with anything...

A bit late this year in brewing my Xmas ale, but its been fermenting since 5/10/16 and is nearly done.

This year, I just used an English special bitter recipe and added chocolate malt, black malt, molasses and cinnamon into the mix :)

OG was 1.062 so hoping for a nice 6 plus % ale, anyway the other day after taking a gravity reading the cinnamon flavour was very strong, so it got me thinking of adding something else and I came up with Cocoa Nibs.

I ordered 250g and they have arrived, just need to work out how to add them and thought id ask your thoughts on it, having read numerous ways of adding them.

The most popular seems to be soak them in vodka for a few days and add them to secondary, i don't usually do a secondary but think i may with this one.

Another suggestion is to roast them then add them, another is to boil in water and add them...

Anyone with experience of this? Cause I sure haven't!

My main concern is sanitation of the nibs and I am swaying towards boiling them in a small amount of water.

I will be bottling this when done,
Cheers
Jay :)

the vodka extract will work as will the boiling - i dont know what the boiling will do the nutrients mind you - but i do know that both will sanitise

D'oh! I wish I'd read this post yesterday... Last night I added cocoa nibs to an oatmeal milk stout that I'm brewing for Christmas, but I just chucked them straight in the FV! Hopefully I've not infected the brew with anything...

how far along the brew are you - so long as the brew was already fermenting along you'll be fine as the alcohol will protect :)

how far along the brew are you - so long as the brew was already fermenting along you'll be fine as the alcohol will protect :)

Thanks. It's pretty much fermented out after a week in Primary and another week in Secondary. Fingers crossed.

Cheers, for the response people :) if I went down the vodka route will it effect carbonation as I always bottle my Christmas ale :)

Jay

Cheers, for the response people :) if I went down the vodka route will it effect carbonation as I always bottle my Christmas ale :)

Jay

I don't see how it could, tbh so long as you have a warm period where it conditioning and then leave it in a stable chilling area for a while it will carbonate properly

I used vodka to add some chilli to one and vanilla to another stout and no issues with carbonation.

Sadly the vanilla one has picked up a lactose type infection but I think this is the fermenter, wasn't air tight and think some nasties got in there.

Good luck! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just an update,

I went for 200g of Cocoa nibs, steeped them in boiled water for a few minutes, then poured it all into a clean fermentation bucket and racked the brew onto it. Seems the cocoa nibs like to float, will be interesting when i bottle. I'm hoping they will fall to the bottom prior to this.
Gravity is at 1.016 today and I think its done, been reading that for a few days. Will probably bottle this early next week.
Cheers :)
Jay

Latest posts

Back