whoops !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barton

Reaction score
fairly new to home brewing , after using cheap kits , and getting just about drinkable lagers , i decided to invest a bit more in cash and effort for my latest effort ,i bought Hammer of Thor , and bought spring water
but !!
at the kegging stage the instructions said add 110g of sugar , i threw in 1kilo of sugar !! i mistakenly thought 110g was more or less a kilo !
So what will happen to my lager ?? should i leave it longer ,will it blow my head off ? will the barrel explode ? should i release some pressure??
i,ve sampled it after 4 weeks from commencing and predictably its quite sweet .

Yes you will definitely need to vent pressure, that will produce a lot of CO2! I've no idea what pressure those barrels are rated to but you have primed probably to around 15 Vol/CO2 :shock:
Other effects will be an increase of ABV by around 2.5%, and probably a thinner bodied beer, but otherwise it will be fine.

fairly new to home brewing , after using cheap kits , and getting just about drinkable lagers , i decided to invest a bit more in cash and effort for my latest effort ,i bought Hammer of Thor , and bought spring water
but !!
at the kegging stage the instructions said add 110g of sugar , i threw in 1kilo of sugar !! i mistakenly thought 110g was more or less a kilo !
So what will happen to my lager ?? should i leave it longer ,will it blow my head off ? will the barrel explode ? should i release some pressure??
If you have added 1kg priming sugar as you said and it has fermented out assuming you kept the PB in the warm for 2 weeks or so to allow the brew to carbonate, your PB should have vented the excess CO2 through the pressure relief device fitted in the cap. On that basis I see no reason to vent it.
If the beer you have drawn off was not carbonated very much it suggests that the PB is leaking probably from the lid somewhere or the priming sugar has not fermented out, which may be one reason why you think it is sweet.
If for any reason you do decide to vent the PB do not try to do it via the cap. Tilt the PB on its side and vent though the dispensing tap. This is the safe way of venting a pressurised PB.

but !!

i did something similar - but i did it intentionally as i wanted it stronger xD

it will just come out abit sweet is all - and abit stronger - all will be well :whistle::whistle:

Thanks for the replies , after the first reply i dashed and gently opened the cap , plenty of gas came out
the samples i drew off were really frothy !! but sweet
so i have now placed the barrel in a cool place but suspect it needs longer in the warm to ferment further , does this sound correct ?
glad it will be stronger , want to know i,ve had a drink !!

stronger definitely but you wont get rid of the sweetness.pinch your nose while drinking it and when you are three sheets to the wind you wont notice it much

Latest posts

Back