Fermination chamber-freezer thingy type thing!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
Before I start the thread I've research n research on the subject, but to too much info overload..some areas are not sinking in lol..
My pals says a bloke has a upright freezer that not needed!!
Just like me I just jump into it, "aye a have it pal!"
As you may be thinking...is it one door..two door compartment..how big it is (inner dimensions etc)...is it still works and all the other people would ask!!...but I'm Brian!! Dooo!
The answer is he doesn't know yet! He's ring him up!!
All I can say is from my one, the dimensions for a 23l FV or 23l DJ it might be suitable....

Both compartment might be suitable 70cm H 40cm D...
The other options is plan B...
If the freezer works...use it for my other food etc.
And utilise this

My old Chest freezer...and buy another one..for two batches at the same time

Air circulation...options are these
My pall done the power pack light nite..

Heating

Now coz of two compartment in the upright freezer..views for heating and cooling?
I looked the temp thermostat could be an issue coz I got confused by that time..
Too info too in and my meds kicked in..
TBH with all that money spent of the AG system etc why not get the best femitation system I can...or if any one up the NORTH EAST can build one with two sepatate compartments...(lager in one beer in the other compartment)
TBH that idea is a good one..�£'s not an issue...
Mind have to put a Wanted' thread! Don't know...
Any help n advise be appreciated.
Atb
Bri

Am I being a spanner???
Put the stc 1000 on F1...to 21C...
The temp is 18.5C..
The heater belt on HEAT socket...
But the belt doesn't go on...
Obvious test the belt before hand and tried the old lamp thingy on the other sockets..both work!
F2....0.5....f3....3...F4 0.0...
I'm now confused!!!!
The red ligjt is on heat on the stc...hmmmm!
There be an obvious reason! But it's Brian you know!! Haha!

Don't say I have unscrew the the whole thing to see if wires are loose!!
Now trying to change the temp down so cooling goes on! The red light went in but the lamp I'm using doesn't light!!
Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!
Is the whole stc knackered I wonder!!!
Atb
Bri

Too complex for me but bear in mind I am a noob.

If my m8 gave me all that then I would do following:

Keep the fridge as an overflow spare in the shed. Happy Xmas SWMBO!
Use the chest freezer as a ferm chamber.
Bin the STC for a 30 quid inkbird.
Plug freezer and heater into that.
Wouldn't bother with a Fan in such a small space.

Mine... (indesit siaa12)

20160929_091831.jpg

Mine...

20160929_091831.jpg

Thx pal,
Yeah there's loads to do it!
With the HB HQ Temps changing every time..I want to make sure at least 2 x 23l batches at any one time..and including the lager aswell..
Think the temp is important for the lager...not coz it's the first lager I've done in 30+ years, but the low temps for Fermintation
Atb
Bri

I made one from an old fridge off eBay. Went a bit more high-tech and completely removed the thermostat and replaced with a Raspberry Pi and Arduino to do a DIY BrewPi. You can buy these controllers ready made from http://www.brewpi.com - but I like to tinker!

My conversion was based on research including from: http://www.brewpi.com/fridge-hacking-guide/ and http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=466106

Ends up with temperature sensors from the room, main chamber (inside fridge) and beer (with a thermowell into the fermentation bucket).

Do not try this if you do not have the experience and confidence to mess about with mains (240V) wiring. :electric: But I think it is pretty cool to have a web interface! (See attachment)

:cheers:
Jerry

BrewPi.jpg

I made one from an old fridge off eBay. Went a bit more high-tech and completely removed the thermostat and replaced with a Raspberry Pi and Arduino to do a DIY BrewPi. You can buy these controllers ready made from http://www.brewpi.com - but I like to tinker!

My conversion was based on research including from: http://www.brewpi.com/fridge-hacking-guide/ and http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=466106

Ends up with temperature sensors from the room, main chamber (inside fridge) and beer (with a thermowell into the fermentation bucket).

Do not try this if you do not have the experience and confidence to mess about with mains (240V) wiring. :electric: But I think it is pretty cool to have a web interface! (See attachment)

:cheers:
Jerry

Morning jerry
I must admit what a set up!!
Obviously making anything is out of my league..mind with one hand I wired a whole duel cool-heat stc 1000 on Sunday...won't tell you how long and how many swear words lol
Funny you should say the raspberry pi!!
My pal came over to wire a fan power pack for some big fans "he gave me.
Went onto saying "I'll have to wire a raspberry to your system!"
At that I went "what's that?"
So he in his computer tech voice! Lol
He's just built my second PC...so you can image that 'Brian' tired, not much brain cells workin, just had my evening meds...just "aye awesome pal!"
He re routed my house for Internet and more boxes and shiny lights...all I can say in mine n our lasses Internet suite...craptop for her..my daughters craptop and my PC working with wifi Or Ethernet thingy and still get 30Mb...all ova my head...but he's a good pal loves helping me...all the way to Scotland n back to help.
Anyways!
With 2 beer batches anyone time and a lager this raspberry thingy might be the key...
Atb
Bri

TBH I can't help looking about the house and other people's homes for what could be made into a ferm chamber!!
Think I'll have a good look at a old fashioned chest of doors thingy with a two door opening...
Might be ideal with some insulation...cooling and heating..
If ok I'll send some pics..
Why not it's only going to be thrown out...
Atb
Bri

TBH I can't help looking about the house and other people's homes for what could be made into a ferm chamber!!
Think I'll have a good look at a old fashioned chest of doors thingy with a two door opening...
Might be ideal with some insulation...cooling and heating..
If ok I'll send some pics..
Why not it's only going to be thrown out...
Atb
Bri

For heating, I just used a 40W tube heater (like used in greenhouses). For a small volume, this is plenty. Too high a powered heater and you end up getting overshoot as heats too quickly and the heat remaining in the device after power is removed can take some time to dissipate.

Cooling is the tricky part, I used a fridge as this part is solved already. Not really investigated how you would cool a chamber otherwise.

Not saying that you couldn't use a cabinet and insulate it, just I am not sure how you would cool it. What kind of difference you can maintain between the chamber and room temperatures you can maintain would depend on the effectiveness of your insulation.

For heating, I just used a 40W tube heater (like used in greenhouses). For a small volume, this is plenty. Too high a powered heater and you end up getting overshoot as heats too quickly and the heat remaining in the device after power is removed can take some time to dissipate.

Cooling is the tricky part, I used a fridge as this part is solved already. Not really investigated how you would cool a chamber otherwise.

Not saying that you couldn't use a cabinet and insulate it, just I am not sure how you would cool it. What kind of difference you can maintain between the chamber and room temperatures you can maintain would depend on the effectiveness of your insulation.

Aye I have 40w greenhouse heater...
But the cooling I admit I'm not sure!
I've got two great fans and a smaller one (with power pack)
But how it would cool it!! And vent..one for stale air curculating..
If any one has ideas with the fan situation I'd be chuffed...
Like you said getting the right temp is going trial n error lol
Now looking a suitable insulation!
Atb
Bri

Mine... (indesit siaa12)

20160929_091831.jpg

The more I see your fringe n think what I can put in it!!! Plenty of room..
But don't u have to do something with the thermostat?? To keep the temp range in check?
Not sure
Atb
Bri

The more I see your fringe n think what I can put in it!!! Plenty of room..
But don't u have to do something with the thermostat?? To keep the temp range in check?
Not sure
Atb
Bri

There are a number of temperature controllers you can get. The simplest would just be a probe in the fridge which then turns on and off a socket that the fridge is powered from. Then just set the temp as low as possible on the fridge and you should be OK for most beers. Something like this: https://www.brewuk.co.uk/inkbird308.html would do this.

Beyond that you then get into re-wiring the fridge, which is what I went for. In the photos you can see the controller box on top of the fridge - and the room probe sticking up. Inside, you can see the chamber probe and also where the probe goes into the thermowell into the FV.

My fridge is a little small, so only one bucket fits. I use a blow-off tube into a container with StarSan in as an airlock does not fit on the top.

13102803_10153505074777681_5747765467365473460_n.jpg

13076814_10153505075192681_9034088603144465134_n.jpg

There are a number of temperature controllers you can get. The simplest would just be a probe in the fridge which then turns on and off a socket that the fridge is powered from. Then just set the temp as low as possible on the fridge and you should be OK for most beers. Something like this: https://www.brewuk.co.uk/inkbird308.html would do this.

Beyond that you then get into re-wiring the fridge, which is what I went for. In the photos you can see the controller box on top of the fridge - and the room probe sticking up. Inside, you can see the chamber probe and also where the probe goes into the thermowell into the FV.

My fridge is a little small, so only one bucket fits. I use a blow-off tube into a container with StarSan in as an airlock does not fit on the top.

I like it!
But how to re wire the thermostat that's what I want to know?
As we speak I think the upright freezer is working..so plan B if the two fv's don't fit...it's going to be a second freezer...and the small Chest freezer will become a single FV chamber!!!
All hoping that upright does the job...specially the space will go into HM HQ...
Thx a lot m8 appreciate it.
Atb
Bri

I use an inkbird - there is a wee probe (black cable in pic inside the fridge) inside usually snuck between the fermenter and some bubblewrap.
I tell the controller if it gets lower than 21.5 c to turn on the heating plug (the tube is plugged into this)
If warmer than 23.5c to turn on the cooling plug (Fridge)
Its usually within half a degree of the set temp so add or subtract from your temp to match this target.
Takes 4 min to figure out the controller and 10 secs to change the desired temp after that.

20160818_161007.jpg

IMG_20160819_WA0015.jpg

In second pic the desired temp is 25c, it's greater than half a degree too cold (24.3c) so the heater has come on.

Tube heater - 60w.

20160814_144603.jpg

I use an inkbird - there is a wee probe (black cable in pic inside the fridge) inside usually snuck between the fermenter and some bubblewrap.
I tell the controller if it gets lower than 21.5 c to turn on the heating plug (the tube is plugged into this)
If warmer than 23.5c to turn on the cooling plug (Fridge)
Its usually within half a degree of the set temp so add or subtract from your temp to match this target.
Takes 4 min to figure out the controller and 10 secs to change the desired temp after that.

20160818_161007.jpg

IMG_20160819_WA0015.jpg

In second pic the desired temp is 25c, it's greater than half a degree too cold (24.3c) so the heater has come on.

Tube heater - 60w.

20160814_144603.jpg

Morning m8,
Looked on that inkbird and it looks like a pukka thing!
I'm going to get one and test it..
At least is seems a non DIY thing..I think it less hassle and the price is good.
Loving your all set up and the problem is always going to cooling from a non freezer-fridge set up! Unless I have a radiator cooled fan system, if I used normal fans surely the the heated air that circulates doesn't cool...if I know what I mean?
I could be wrong? The fans could be nuff to cool the fv's but it's time to do it for a few degrees..n that time isn't good is it!
Atb bri

Back