Extract Brews Using Hop Pellets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've done a few partial boil extract brews recently using hop pellets.
I've chucked the pellets straight into the pot to get the best result from the boil, since the pot I am using is quite small.
When it comes to pouring the wort into the FV, since the holes on an ordinary kitchen type sieve let 99% of the hop bits through, the method I am currently using is to pour through a large muslin bag (boiled beforehand), but the cloth quickly becomes blocked with hop bits and ends up very much like a cows udder half full of liquid which I reluctantly have to squeeze out (clean hands of course) :eek:
So is there anyone else out there that uses pellets in the boil and if so how do they stop hop bits getting into the FV?
Or does everyone use whole hops instead of pellets?

If I ever done this before I have a big bowl on the side and use a fine mesh sieve. once the sieve is full i pick it up and up end it into the bowl with a viguruous flick of the wrist to chuck the sludge into the bowl and then resume filling...

Someone suggested to me that one of these would do the job but I haven't tried it yet.

4cea62badee2e7ef96c078e92c59af80.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry, interesting post, and a problem I think we have all faced. Personally, (and it works for me) I put all the hops in bags, for the boil. If someone wants to argue that hop utilisation isn't as good, so beit, they are welcome to their opinion. I also strain the beer through a bag when I bottle (esp. small batches), and even my son yesterday claimed "thats the clearest beer Ive seen". I don't pretend to be some guru but I just keep things REALLY simple, because Im the Village Idiot,.....who happens to make rather nice beer!!

I use a 100 micron filter sock I got from work.. I've used it a few times for dry hopping and in a boil and there's no bits in the beer. Look on eBay for one..they are sometimes used for marine fish tank filters and are nylon with a stiff plastic top rim which I cut off. Be aware as the mesh size drops below 100 micron they become "felt" filters which won't work. The sock will discolour with used and can be boiled to sterilise.

Cheers

Clint

I use leaves but still use a hop sock. Absolutely brilliant and reusable

1a38a26a670d765f85eda3180dabf1c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Someone suggested to me that one of these would do the job but I haven't tried it yet.

4cea62badee2e7ef96c078e92c59af80.png

I've got several of these so I can make multiple additions through the boil then wash and sterilise them to use for dry hopping. I've had negligible amounts of hop debris escape, though I can't comment on whether any flavour / aroma is lost due to lack of circulation.

I do if I've left them in to steep after flame out and the wort has cooled.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for comments.
As expected there seems to be a number of different approaches.
And I am not alone in using hop pellets.
So I have decided to carry on with pellets but modify my approach.
I have bought some 160 mesh nylon bags off fleabay which will be used to contain the hops in the boil.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5PCS-160M...648406?hash=item4650766a16:g:CgQAAOSwZ1BXcNBz. Cheap but hopefully effective. Just hope they arrive in reasonable time!
I decided to give nylon a go because it cleans up easier than muslin, plus muslin absorbs liquid whereas nylon does not, so removing the bags at the end should be easier.
If that doesn't work I'll move over to whole hops.

Latest posts

Back