First beer brew in the Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimpo

Reaction score
Brewed a couple of Woodfordes wherry over this past few months and still have a few bottles of the first batch left . It sure gets nicer with age and tastes very nice to my novice taste buds.
Worked today on getting brew fridge up and running using the inkbird and just had to get a brew in it :mrgreen: Did remember this time to take the SG :)

ueR145.jpg

nxj1bR.jpg

Made up a 23 litre brew of Midas touch tonight and pitched the yeast at 21C and SG was 1.050 looking forward to this brew.

Thoughts is to see that the yeast starts off ok, then leave it for a couple of weeks and fingers crossed it will be ok, Used the yeast that came with kit , hopefully it ill be ok as Ive read that wherry yeast should be chucked and girvin etc used so it dont stick.
Any thought , comments welcome

Looking good! 😎👌

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

All seems good so far and the inkbird doing its job perfectly. This hobby is addictive to say the least :D

I seem to have hit a problem ,Ive noticed this past 3 days theres been no activity from the air lock but just left it to see if things would change, Took a SG reading today and its reading 1.020 / 1.022 . The brew has been kept at a constant 18/19 C
Having read a bit on the forum this past wile it appears that my brew may have stuck, Id rather not loose the kit as they are not the cheapest so what is my best option a week after brew started.

1.030 down to 1.020 /7.36 is only 4.07% ABV I think the kit should be around 5%

I seem to have hit a problem ,Ive noticed this past 3 days theres been no activity from the air lock but just left it to see if things would change, Took a SG reading today and its reading 1.020 / 1.022 . The brew has been kept at a constant 18/19 C
Having read a bit on the forum this past wile it appears that my brew may have stuck, Id rather not loose the kit as they are not the cheapest so what is my best option a week after brew started.

1.030 down to 1.020 /7.36 is only 4.07% ABV I think the kit should be around 5%

Sorry to hear your ferment has stopped, you're not the first one it's happened to...
I would re-pitch some more ale yeast. Wilco do a good gervin (11gms instead of the 6grms you get from Woodfordes), �£1.75

I had been reading on some of the brews members had done that some yeasts supplied were not overly great and caused the fermentation to stop around the 1.020 mark.
I wasnt sure
A, to leave it a few more days encase the seal around the bucket was'nt airtight. I had been using barrel type FV but they to tall for this fridge hence bucket type with lid.

B , to give it a good stir and add some yeast nutrient

C, to add a packet of yeast

Enzymes are your best bet. There is a thread somewhere on here about it.

Sounds good and been reading away and found a good help topic as well

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11561

Ill check SG over next 2 days and see if it moves, if not ill pop in some nutrient and give it a gentle stir.

Think I need to make myself a stirrer plate and give the yeast a head start before pitching into the kits. hopefully that may help.
Not for going down the AG route for a while to I get better at the simple ones and get better setup and more knowledge,

Just a update on the brew being stuck, I measured over 3 days and it stuck at 1.020, as suggested i gave it a good stir and left it 2 days and measured again , still stuck
I have an woodfordes admiral kit here so put in half a packet of yeast into brew and left it until today now reading 1.014 so happy days.

I used the woodfordes yeast as I have bought some packets of wilko girvin but wanted to keep those for doing future kits like woodfordes and muntons. In saying that my next move even with the dry yeast is to make a starter using LME and a home brew stir plate.

Ibottled my first 2 kits but now stepped up and bought some kony kegs and a co2 cylinder so off to read up on conditioning the beer now for kegs.

Not even dreaming of all grain at this point in time as it sure dont seem simple :D

Latest posts

Back