Measuring SG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm brewing basic ginger beer; sugar, ginger, lemon etc.

Measured the SP before pitching and got a reading of 1.064. Three days in ive decanted a small amount just to check how the fermention is going.

However I got a reading of 1.072 so it's gone up. You could taste the alcohol and since I'm using a sealed fermenter it was a little bit carbonated.

Is the carbonation the reason for the hydrometer reading higher than when I started? Also my airlock isn't bubbling, but when I slightly open the lid you could hear the gas escape so someyhing is happening.

HELP!

Could it be the temperature was different between the two sampling stages?
Is the airlock properly seated? I had a gallon dj not bubbling once until I gave the airlock a couple of twists into the bung.
Also if in FV is it one that has an airtight lid? Many don't and the 'gas' may have come from downward pressure as you opened the flexible lid?
Just some thoughts.

Hey guys,

I'm brewing basic ginger beer; sugar, ginger, lemon etc.

Measured the SP before pitching and got a reading of 1.064. Three days in ive decanted a small amount just to check how the fermention is going.

However I got a reading of 1.072 so it's gone up. You could taste the alcohol and since I'm using a sealed fermenter it was a little bit carbonated.

Is the carbonation the reason for the hydrometer reading higher than when I started? Also my airlock isn't bubbling, but when I slightly open the lid you could hear the gas escape so someyhing is happening.

HELP!

yes, just stir the sample to de-fizz it or pour back and fore between two jugs to get the fizz out.

Cheers for the help. Sounds like the carbonation is having an effect

As Vinotinto says, you must know the temperature of your beer in your trial jar at the time of taking an SG reading. The reading you get can be calculated back to 20C which is the normal temperature to which your hydrometer is calibrated to. Failing this there is a conversion calculator on the Brewers Friend website. The second important point you should be aware of is the sample of beer under test must be degased before taking a reading otherwise the bubbles of CO2 will tend to hold the the hydrometer up and hence give a false reading.
This may seem all a bit complicated, but it really isn't.
Happy Brewing.

Latest posts

Back