Pumpkin Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads_Ale

Crafty Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brewed this a few weeks ago and have been holding off posting until I tried it :whistle:

Have been thinking about doing one for a couple of years but never got round to it. A subtle nudge from SWMBO and a recipe in the Craft Beer and Brewing magazine convinced me to give it a try.

The base recipe (the pumpkin bit) came fro CB&B with a few tweaks dependant on my malt and hop stock.

Recipe:

Final volume - 23 litres

Pumpkin:
I used 2kg (final weight) of Butternut Squash (ok I know its not pumpkin :lol:)
Quarter and remove seeds. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cook for about 1.5hrs at 190c.
Once cooked, remove skin and cut into cubes. Add to the boil (use a bag to prevent scorching on the elements).

Malt:
Pale - 5.5 kg
Crystal Wheat - 200g
Biscuit malt - 200g
Special B - 200g

Dark sugar - 215g - 90 mins

Hops:
Target - 20g - 60 mins

Spices (dried):
Cinnamon - 4tsp - 5 mins
Nutmeg - 1tsp - 5 mins
Ginger - 1tsp - 5 mins

yeast - SO4

Add tsp of vanilla extract after fermentation.

Mash for 90 mins

Boil for 90 mins adding the pumpkin and brown sugar at the start

Og - 1064
FG - 1014

I didn't go overboard on the spices as I didn't want to overpower the beer and had never used spices before.

But: what a cracking beer and getting better with age. Not a session ale but a great balance of sweetness and spice. A bit late for Halloween but would be great for the festive season.

Look out for a bottle swap...:)

This the same one from the WBB Club Saturday? If so I can safely say it's a winner!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I fancy trying this.the recipe I've seen says to add the squash to the mash and not the boil.is have though the boil would be better.

Back