Coopers stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertface198

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to brewing so after some stout recipes

Does anybody have any idea what a coopers stout kit with beer enhancer 3 and 50g dark spray malt would be like?

I'm pretty new to brewing so after some stout recipes

Does anybody have any idea what a coopers stout kit with beer enhancer 3 and 50g dark spray malt would be like?
The recipe you have selected will work I'm sure (I assume you mean 500g Dark DME not 50g), although perhaps you could improve on it. :thumb:
There are plenty of recipes for boosting Coopers stouts, look at the reviews here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17817
and here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17818
My recipe is kit can plus 500g golden syrup, 500g Dark DME, 100g dark muscovado sugar plus three espresso shots of strong Italian Roast coffee, and brewed to 19 litres, to keep it all in the FV. As I said elsewhere I prefer the Irish to the Original but its all down to personal choice. And there is no need imo to change the kit yeast.

I've had a Coopers Stout kit hanging around for ages, I love the stuff and it's the only kit I've continued brewing since I started 5 years ago, so don't know why I haven't brewed it yet.

I suspect it's because it's a 40 pint brew - I like variety and tend to brew 10/12L AG volumes these days. How low do you think I could go with a short brew - 15L? Thinking of doing a mini-mash to supplement this kit as I've got plenty of grain.

The recipe you have selected will work I'm sure (I assume you mean 500g Dark DME not 50g), although perhaps you could improve on it. :thumb:
There are plenty of recipes for boosting Coopers stouts, look at the reviews here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17817
and here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17818
My recipe is kit can plus 500g golden syrup, 500g Dark DME, 100g dark muscovado sugar plus three espresso shots of strong Italian Roast coffee, and brewed to 19 litres, to keep it all in the FV. As I said elsewhere I prefer the Irish to the Original but its all down to personal choice. And there is no need imo to change the kit yeast.
Ive done similar to Terry, so he is spot on. Made my best beer by far, but Im not really a stout drinker!!!!! Hey Ho..might give it another go one day??? many ideas and not enough time.:thumb:

It's a great kit. I made mine with a kilo of malt. I'm doing another next but going to try 1.5kg of extra dark spraymalt. I have around 10 left which taste really good...keeping them for Christmas! Make sure you fit a blow off tube and put the fv on a tray...it's a bit lively!

Cheers

Clint

I've done Coopers Stout with 1kg Brew Enhancer and:
100g honey - 6.7%
454g Holland & Barrat malt extract - 6.2%
454g Lyles Treacle - 6.8%

Coffee is nice with it but very easy to over do. Chocolate is nice with it, I've used coco powder. I've used both together and liked all three combinations. A nice alternative to Coopers Stout is Ritchies Simply Stout, I did that in April with 1kg of BE and 454g of treacle and it came in at 9% so I've saved 5 bottles for Xmas.

Thanks everyone after a couple of weeks in the FV it's already very promising. Thanks for the recipe ideas I'm trying Irish stout next and Mexican cerveza also have a pilsner to try. Can't wait for the end products!

I've had a Coopers Stout kit hanging around for ages, I love the stuff and it's the only kit I've continued brewing since I started 5 years ago, so don't know why I haven't brewed it yet.

I suspect it's because it's a 40 pint brew - I like variety and tend to brew 10/12L AG volumes these days. How low do you think I could go with a short brew - 15L? Thinking of doing a mini-mash to supplement this kit as I've got plenty of grain.

I make this as a toucan, with a Dark Ale at 21 Litres.
I've never done it but I've read people brew one can of Stout at 12-15 litres.
Here's the recipe I used for 21 litres, so if you only use the Coopers stout and halve the rest it should be OK. Loads of people loved the toucan though.

1 x Coopers Dark Ale kit
1 x Coopers Stout
250g Dextrose
120g Carapils
250g Choc Malt

So in my haste to make the pilsner I put in 1kg brew enhancer 1 and then the whole 500g dme by accident as it slipped out of my hand.i was intending on putting half of that in. Any ideas what it might end up like?

Put my Irish stout on yesterday
Coopers Irish stout tin
Brew enhancer 3
Dried dark malt
Muscovado sugar
Cocoa powder
It's foaming up nicely very much looking forward to this one

Tasted the stout today and boy it's good! Going to have trouble making this last...must have patience it's still quite young.also tried my coopers lager and that was also really good! Tops!!

Hi!
I made the Cooper's Stout with 4 jars of Meridian malt extract (H&B), 400g BE2 and 250g lactose. I used a harvested yeast from a dark mild, but I think I botched the pitching rate as it didn't ferment as low as I expected. I put it in my first Corny keg and left it to condition for a couple of months then force carbed it. I tried the first pint the other day - wow! It's a lovely drink and just about right for a session ale.

That sounds great! How long did you ferment it for?

Hi!
The yeast was Wilko Gervin Ale (Nottingham in all but name) so it worked quickly, but I always leave it for two weeks to make sure that it has cleaned itself up.
Owing to a stupid leg injury, I couldn't do any brewing for a couple of months, so I switched the temperature controller off and left the FV in the fridge until I was able to proceed. The ale stayed in the FV at fridge temperature for about 10 weeks altogether before I racked it into the Corny keg.
It doesn't have that strong burnt flavour that Guinness has - it's closer to Mackeson (well, it will be, with the lactose to sweeten it). It suits my taste as it isn't excessively bitter and it slips down very well.

I'm also thinking of doing a Coopers Stout; they have great reviews.
But so many variations I don't know where to start.

I read about 'Ditches Stout', and thought I'd start there, but again, many variations when I googled this.

Am I right in thinking it is:
the Coopers Stout kit,
plus 1Kg medium (or dark?) spraymalt DME
plus 150g Demerara sugar
brewed short to 21L (?)

Back