Protein cold break

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddyg84

Reaction score
After cooling an all grain brew do people just transfer evrything into fermenter or try and leave behind some of the coagulated proteins? Lost about 2 litres of brew last night after leaving behind some of the proteins.

Most people use a hop strainer to catch the bits of hops and also the coagulated proteins....and yes, you do end up losing a litre or two in the wet hops/gunk. I transfer mine in batches when cool to a 25lt wine fermenter then give it a good shake ..about 50-60 times, to re-aerate the wort before transferring tot he fermenter

Ah right I use a peco boiler and usually take the false bottom out for the boiling stage. I out my hops in muslin bags so didn't think.about sttaining the sort after boiling. Maybe I'll keep the false bottom in from now on or perhaps do you know of a hop strainer attachment for peco boiler?

There is some interesting and counterintuitive results about transferring break material on brulosphy (part 1 & part 2). On the basis of this I have never worried about getting trub in the fermentation vessel but you are always going to lose some beer at some point because you don't want it in your bottles or keg. I figure it will probably pack down a bit better in the fermentation vessel, where as it will still contain a lot of wort if you leave it all in the kettle.

Also, no matter how long I leave it to settle after the boil, I always end up having to scrap my hop filter which stirs up the trub again and my beautiful clear wort which has been flowing happily out of my kettle is suddenly just as cloudy as ever.

Ah right sounds more up my street less work. I'll just let the whole lot settle into the trub. Thanks

I agree with simon. I used to stress about only getting the clearest wort into the FV, now I don't filter at all. Hops, trub and everything else in there, it settles out eventually and I haven't noticed any impact on flavour.

I used to use a home made manifold with slits and got reasonably clear beer. but since I got a 100 litre boiler I have a domed shaped false bottom with 2-3 mm holes and the wort comes out cloudy as hell. I used to think that teh hop bed would filter out most of the protein and so on but with some pellets in as well a lot gets through. As said above with crash cooling later on after fermenting it all drops out so I am no longer fussed about having super clear wort. I sometimes pour the last couple of litres from the kettle through a sieve to get all of the liquid out but I haven't yet got round to squeezing the hops dry.

what temps do you class as cold crashing? 5c?
ive done a fg on my hobble wobble and it looks like mud,i have a brew fridge so ive set it as low as it will go,

Back