Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > How to Set up a Water Bath for your FV

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #21
Llanbrewer

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 46

That was really helpful, not least because it dealt with the problems I've had in coming back to brewing after over 30 years and trying to set it up to work in the greenhouse. I'd taken the more brutal approach of cutting a hole in the lid of the FV and dangling the heater down the middle. My reasoning was that this would give effective heating throughout the brewing liquid. How does it work with the water bath? Is the temperature even, or is it warm near the heater and much cooler opposite it?

Old 03-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #22
terrym

Liked 1602 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanbrewer View Post
How does it work with the water bath? Is the temperature even, or is it warm near the heater and much cooler opposite it?
From memory whenever I've taken temperature readings across the water bath at different points the difference is usually no more than about 0.5*C. What I can't do however is test the difference from top to bottom of the bath.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #23
Llanbrewer

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
From memory whenever I've taken temperature readings across the water bath at different points the difference is usually no more than about 0.5*C. What I can't do however is test the difference from top to bottom of the bath.
Aquariums must have a pretty even temperature despite having heaters just stuck in one corner. However, I find it difficult to understand how this happens because when topping up a bath, it's necessary to swish the water round to get it from the tap end to the other end. The answer must be that with steady heating, the convection currents are sufficient to evenly dissipate the heat.
terrym Likes This 
Old 04-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #24
terrym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanbrewer View Post
The answer must be that with steady heating, the convection currents are sufficient to evenly dissipate the heat.
That's how I read it, probably because the fairly narrow water bath annulus (certainly in my set-up) is conducive to convection currents being formed.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #25
Bigcol49

Liked 842 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Hi!
If anyone's worried about uneven temperature in a water bath, there's always one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Quie...3D322264560286

Old 04-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #26
terrym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcol49 View Post
Hi!
If anyone's worried about uneven temperature in a water bath, there's always one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Quie...3D322264560286
Well I'm certainly not 'worried' about an apparent temperature difference of <0.5*C across my water bath.
It's got an FV with beer in it, not a nuclear reactor!
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2016, 04:52 AM   #27
Bigcol49

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
Well I'm certainly not 'worried' about an apparent temperature difference of <0.5*C across my water bath.
It's got an FV with beer in it, not a nuclear reactor!
Hi!
What a put down!
I knew that you wouldn't be worried with such a low temp difference; I posted for the benefit of anyone who was worried.
I've read posts about brewers who have recorded a large vertical temperature difference in their water bath - this may happen if the setup involves a large volume of water in the bath. A cheap submersible pump solved their problem.
I suppose it's the same situation with having or not having a circulationg fan in a brewfridge.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #28
terrym

The water bath idea is very low tech; you have only got to look at my set-up in the OP to see that. The fish tank heater itself relies on a fairly crude thermostat and that in itself introduces a small working temperature variation local to the heater let alone elsewhere. In my opinion therefore, by its very nature, there is no need for any extra bells and whistles. You can't polish a ****!
However, it does allow homebrewers to maintain fermenting temperatures with reasonable accuracy in a 'simple, cheap and effective' manner when otherwise they are unable to do that for space or background temperature reasons.
So anyone who is fastidious about maintaining brewing temperature control to very fine margins, should be probably be looking at other more sophisticated methods.
However I am sure that for many like me it does the job it is intended to do.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #29
Bigcol49

Hi!
I stand corrected. In future, I'll refrain from sticking my nose in where it's not wanted.

Old 23-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #30
APINTA

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Great Idea Thanks