Nelson SMaSH - Yeast Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
Managed to find a few hours during my paternity leave to get our first SMaSH underway. 8kg of golden promise went in at 66c for 2 hours.

Uneventful mash with no temperature loss (i know, right?) and a quick sparge, lauter and recirculation. Pre-boil volume was 1.076, out by .002 which i'm happy with.

Boil on with additions at 60min (40g), 30min (20g), 20min (20g), flameout (30g). Going big on hops with this baby. There's another 40g and 50g dry hop addition going in in the next few days...

Cooled, whirlpooled and drained into two FV's (you'll see in a minute) with an OG of 1.082 (expected 1.087 so, once again, happy) with roughly 8.5l per FV.

FV1 had two packets of US-05 pitched into it. This is our standard workhorse yeast and formed part of a decision to experiment late in the day.

FV2 contains wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) which Brewdog seem to use a lot. They have a beer called Hype that is very similar to our SMaSH (except it's half the ABV and uses some amarillo too) that i've never tried but gets decent reviews on Ratebeer.

The experiment will determine, going forward, which yeast we use in our Imperial IPAs.

Wow, that is amazing. None I'd the detail on the brew, just the fact you squeezed that in on paternity. I managed to by half a kg of hops and froze them but that is it!

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

I need to try your hop schedule and see the difference.

For my hoppy brews (actually my recent smash too) I am stuck in bittering at 60 for most of the desired ibus (sometimes with a cheap high alpha hop) and almost equal flavour additions at 10 5 and 0.

My hombrewdog entry had 30g of Colombus to bitter and 15g of summit and galaxy at 10 and 5 mins and 20g of each at flame out and my recent pilgrim smash had 20g at 60 and 10g at 10,5 and flame out.

Interested to see what you think of the 2 yeasts. My rerun of the hbc dipa came with mj44 instead of the us-05 from last time. I have an original bottle left for drinking over Xmas but not sure it's fair to compare to a 2 and half month old bottle.

Congrats on the new arrival.

Thanks guys - a chap on the forum laid his hands on a couple of bags of Nelson hops from the shop in Leeds that was selling off. Very kindly put them in the post so we've got about 300g of hops to play with!

That said it's our first SMaSH so I could be over egging it.

Son was at school and SWMBO was entertaining friends with the new babe so I squeezed it in. It was under pain of death should I make mess...

Looking forward to seeing the difference with two yeasts!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back