Best Equipment for a Complete Beginner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belfy

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was wondering if I could pick some brains.

I'm completely new to home brewing, but it's something I've always fancied trying. I have a book on it's way which will hopefully help me, but before that comes, I wanted to do a little research.

So, can anyone recommend the best equipment for a complete beginner? Am I best getting one of those packs you see in Wilkinsons (I'm sure they'll be tons available with Christmas round the corner)? Or is there a better option? I don't want to spend a fortune in case I'm useless and throw in the towel, but it'd be good to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

B :thumb:

I just bought my dad his birthday present. 30L fermentation bucket, syphon tube, 50 PET bottles, a high end kit [one of the festival ones], all the little bits and pieces like a hydrometer, thermometer, sterilser, literally everything I could think of. I only bought decent quality stuff but I shopped around like mad for every single item on the internet and my local shop so almost all of it was at sale prices. Think I spent almost exactly 50 quid, so there's a ball park for you.

It'll be less if you buy one that includes a barrel because these are usually cheaper than bottles.

Aside from that the best idea is to find a local home brew shop and get friendly.

This is pretty helpful:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526

Personally I'd just price it up, if there is some savings to be had from some kind of starter kit as opposed to buying all the bit separately then I'd go for it.

What you'll soon realise is that you'll want / need other kit e.g. two fermenters so you can have more than one kit on the go, pressure barrels / kegs, bottles, crown capper. The list goes on....

It depends on what route you are going down, kits, extracts, all grain or brew in a bag. I would make that decision first and then look at how much you have to spend

Thanks for all your replies. £50 doesn't sound to bad to start off with.

Just one more question. I have seem people have a "brewing shed" or their own space. Is this vital? Or can I make use of the space I have in the kitchen (once I get permission off the wife and get her to keep the kids entertained) :oops::whistle:

Depends what you're planning, for kit brewing the kitchen will be fine. For 5 gallon all grain brews it won't as the whole house will smell like a brewery and you'll have trouble contending with the steam.

I used to brew all my kits in our utility but then shifted out to the garage when I got a brew fridge.

I bought a Youngs starter kit, the beer wasn't great but it will give you everything you need to get started. (BTW that link was the first I could find so search around.) You can use that equipment again and again, you just need to buy different kits (from £10 to £20). Use 2L rinsed and sterilised cheap cola bottles to store the beer.

If you don't mind your kitchen smelling for a day, give this a go http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

It will also dive you straight into all grain and produce around 10 pints.

The only things you'll need to buy are a thermometer, a hydrometer and the grains and hops listed on that thread. Maybe £15 in total including delivery.`I wish I'd have moved to this sooner.

Expenses can grow, a brewing fridge will really help, corny kegs will give you pub style beer, big shiny's look great but you can produce good beer for under £50 (the price of a decent session in your local)

Thanks for all your replies. �£50 doesn't sound to bad to start off with.

Just one more question. I have seem people have a "brewing shed" or their own space. Is this vital? Or can I make use of the space I have in the kitchen (once I get permission off the wife and get her to keep the kids entertained) :oops::whistle:

mine is the kitchen and under the stairs for the beer and behind my chair (next to the radiator) for my wine:thumb:

The equipment does take up a bit of storage space but you can stack fermentation vessels etc and get a box for the rest.

Yep. Takes up room so ever so quietly start taking over a place in your house as your beer corner or room. And every month or so, claim more territory.

Latest posts

Back