First AG BIAB Tomorrow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
Well the day has come.

I've got all my kit sorted and tonight i'll be fine tuning my recipe and totting up all my temperatures and amounts but am hoping for a nice and simple 10L pale ale.

My ingredients are:

Grains - Marris Otter, Crystal Malt.
Hops - Fuggles
Yeast - Mangrove Jacks Empire Ale Yeast

Im basing this off of Clibits "Simple AG" and keeping it pretty similar with the exception of the crystal Malt.

All my equipment is ready.

Equipment is:

20Ltr converted stock pot boiler
20Ltr Cool Box (might just use the boiler)
Grain Bag
Hop Bag
2 5Ltr water bottles from Sainsbobs with Airlocks fitted
+ all the generic equipment of thermometers, steriliser, pipes e.t.c.

Im hoping to be able to get 10 ltrs out of it but I'm going to use less water than usual so i can always dilute after the boil if my OG is higher than i want it to be.

I'm an absolute beginner on this. I've done a couple of extract kits but wanted to give the grain a go so I'm going to take plenty of pictures as a bit of a guide and an opportunity for people to point out any flaws.

Anybody got any last minute tips or questions?

My advice is to be patient and have a plan of action before you begin...albeit the more you do, you will develop a process which works well.

When you mash in, have a jug of cold water and boiling water ready to adjust the water to the suitable mashing temperature.

How are you going to cool the wort, chiller or overnight job?

Be mindful that it's fairly long process...takes me about 4 hours from start to pitching yeast.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good luck and enjoy!

My advice is to be patient and have a plan of action before you begin...albeit the more you do, you will develop a process which works well.

When you mash in, have a jug of cold water and boiling water ready to adjust the water to the suitable mashing temperature.

How are you going to cool the wort, chiller or overnight job?

Be mindful that it's fairly long process...takes me about 4 hours from start to pitching yeast.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hi pope

Thanks for the tips. Im planning on cooling in the sink with some ice water. Im also going to freeze some boiled water ice cubes just encase the temp doesn't go down quickly enough so I can put them in the pot

Clibit recommends squeezing the bag to death to get all the water out but I wouldn't squeeze at all, just let the bag rest on top of a cooker shelf on top of the pot and let it drip while your wort comes up to boil. You may give a light squeeze but squeezing puts a load of husks and impurities into the wort.

Also make sure you get a rolling boil before adding your hops, beware of spillover at this stage.

I overnight cooled 23L for my last brew, just cover the pot so no impurities can get in. If it's your own recipe or you don't want to worry too much about exact hop flavours it saves the chilling process, it also gives all the trub plenty of time to settle for a clearer beer (try it next time.)

Good luck!

Clibit recommends squeezing the bag to death to get all the water out but I wouldn't squeeze at all, just let the bag rest on top of a cooker shelf on top of the pot and let it drip while your wort comes up to boil. You may give a light squeeze but squeezing puts a load of husks and impurities into the wort.

Also make sure you get a rolling boil before adding your hops, beware of spillover at this stage.

I overnight cooled 23L for my last brew, just cover the pot so no impurities can get in. If it's your own recipe or you don't want to worry too much about exact hop flavours it saves the chilling process, it also gives all the trub plenty of time to settle for a clearer beer (try it next time.)

Good luck!

Cheers GlentoranMark

I was a bit skeptical of the squeeze so I reckon after original MASH I'll soak the bag in 10 degree higher temp than the original mash. When I'm done I'll drain the bag above above that bowl in a sieve and let it drip In for a while. Not a squeeze but maybe a poke. Haha

Just for balance, I'll add that I'm a squeezer, and I don't think my brew has suffered for it either in taste nor in clarity.

Agreed, never had a problem squeezing the bag. Helps you get more of the good stuff out.

There is always a devils advocate Haha. Hmm I'll see what the grain bag looks like and if it needs a squeeze I might do it in a separate container and if loads of gunk comes out then I'll leave it alone but if then they I'll add it to the boil pot. Cheers guys

I recon the difference between GlentoranMark's experiences and mine might be down to the bag. Mine has a very fine mesh, so there is no chance of any husks getting through.

There is always a devils advocate Haha. Hmm I'll see what the grain bag looks like and if it needs a squeeze I might do it in a separate container and if loads of gunk comes out then I'll leave it alone but if then they I'll add it to the boil pot. Cheers guys

The ultimate squeezer:
google youtube for
"Maximizing Wort Extraction from a Grain Bag - Brew in a Bag - BIAB"

The ultimate squeezer:
google youtube for
"Maximizing Wort Extraction from a Grain Bag - Brew in a Bag - BIAB"

That is an immense squeezer. Unfortunately I don't have a caulk gun Haha. U think I'll implement a similar technique though. Using a colander and bowl and my mits.

Well it has begun.

After an hour of cleaning and sterilising the kitchen the mash is in :grin: smells amazing!

Keeping it just above 65c and waiting. It's like watching paint dry. Im checking every 15 mins and adjusting with hot water when necessary.

I hang my grain bag over a large pot to drain. It's pretty much done by the time the main pot is up the boil.

Once that's gone in I occasionally try giving the bag a squeeze into the collection pot just to see how much comes out. But by then it's drained for about 30 min and significantly less than a pint comes out. So I reckon my drip-drain method works pretty well.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll combine all the wurt into the boiler and let in drain above it on the grate. Im definitely going to give it a little squeeze. I've got a quite a strong grain bag. I made it from Sioux curtains.

I'm a squeezer, but you do need thick rubber marigolds to avoid burning your mits.

Good luck with your brew, there's no going back from all grain. Enjoy!

Mash done. In the boiler. Pre sg reading of 1.022 at 67.4c. By the magic of an app it reads 1.043 so shaping up to be a strong beer so far. Bit concerned as the volume is just under an inch from the top of my stock pot. With boil approaching I'm sensing a mess

Yahhoooo. Onto the rolling boil buckets loads of foam at first but thankfully I had a wisk to hand to pop those bubbles. No one said it smells this good!!!

Well all done and in the sink chilling. Anyone got any tips on cooling it faster. It's feels like it's taking forever

Well all done and in the sink chilling. Anyone got any tips on cooling it faster. It's feels like it's taking forever
Add some frozen water bottles, to the sink and swirl the water around by hand... takes about 20 minutes (stir wort) with 3 changes of water in the sink...works for me
In fact just done it 2 hours ago and pitched yeast.:thumb:

Back