Ringwood Best (with yeast from the brewery!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I procured some yeast from the guys at Ringwood and decided to make a clone of Best. I love 49er and Thumper but I wanted an easy drinking beer for the keg.
Recipe from GW book.

Pale malt: 3.8kg
Crystal: 210g
Chocolate: 38g

The original recipe calls for 170g of Torrefied wheat but I had none in my box.

Hops:

Challenger: 29g @ start
Goldings: 10g @ the end.

Yeast is from the brewery and is looking lively.

Let's see how it goes!

1477829914380410567701.jpg

1477829949337628928340.jpg

1477829928745-1548181548.jpg

1477829961429139542099.jpg

Hi all,

I procured some yeast from the guys at Ringwood and decided to make a clone of Best. I love 49er and Thumper but I wanted an easy drinking beer for the keg.
Recipe from GW book.

Pale malt: 3.8kg
Crystal: 210g
Chocolate: 38g

The original recipe calls for 170g of Torrefied wheat but I had none in my box.

Hops:

Challenger: 29g @ start
Goldings: 10g @ the end.

Yeast is from the brewery and is looking lively.

Let's see how it goes!

what's the book you have in the picture there..

Brew Your Own British Beers by Graham Wheeler.

The yeast is actually scooped from the brewery itself, Beercat; not certain it's exactly the same strain as the shop bought one. Smells fruity and is climbing out of the lunchbox!

This beer is in the bucket. Yeast was absolutely climbing out of the container and I'd only added some first runnings to it some hours before!
Original gravity 1040, so a little stronger than the recipe suggests but should still be a good session beer.
This is likely to go in the keg rather than the bottles but I may siphon one or two off to see how it compares with the force carbonated version.

This beer is in the bucket. Yeast was absolutely climbing out of the container and I'd only added some first runnings to it some hours before!
Original gravity 1040, so a little stronger than the recipe suggests but should still be a good session beer.
This is likely to go in the keg rather than the bottles but I may siphon one or two off to see how it compares with the force carbonated version.

I dont see the need to force carb - not until the last 3rd of the barrel

I have a kegerator setup so it's just simpler to force carbonate and get moderately chilled 'keg beer' rather than the cask/bottle conditioned one which would suit this beer more.
Bottling is just such a pain in the bum, though I often think the naturally carbonated stuff always tastes 'fuller'.
And the award for talking s%ite award goes to...

It has fermented out completely but there is still a thick head of krausen on top which I am going to crop. The smell is glorious though it still looks pretty murky in there (I probably over pitched.)

Joey
I'm assuming you have checked the SG when you say its finished, especially since you say there's still a thick head of krausen.
I did three brews from a 1698 culture, which was heavily top fermenting with a crust to match, and found I had to turn the yeast back into the brew from about 2/3 way through the primary to ensure it carried on, since all the yeast was on the top and not in the brew itself, and it would have otherwise stuck.

Latest posts

Back