building a basic boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,ive finally decided to leave kits in the new year and go BIAB all grain,so in the next couple of months can folk link me to where I can get the necessary bits and pieces to build a cheap basic boiler.ive decided on building one after reading reviews on boilers like the electrim because of cutting out issues.first off would using a 33 litre standard fermentation bucket be sturdy enough for doing a boil also what cheapo kettles are any good for scavenging the element,would I need two of them? they need to be of the type that fits a kettle lead and be a straight out and back into a hole in the bucket no faffing about with moderations.any help and tips over the next few weeks will be most welcome
ta

I built my HLT and boiler using 33l FVs and kettle elements from Wilkos value kettles. The buckets I got from eBay and were about 10 each. The kettles were a fiver each. When you take the kettles apart it looks like this

IMG_9556.jpg

Just take the metal disc out that turns off the switch at boiling point. I used two elements for each boiler and just leaving one on once it's boiling keeps 30l at a nice rolling boil. I have completed 8 brew days with these and no problems at all so far. It's a really cheap boiler but it works for me. These elements have the 3 prongs on them that fit straight on to a kettle lead. I then added a standard lever valve and tank connector. I have since bought a couple more kettles just in case the elements pack up, but not needed them yet. I also had to draw on the graduations with a sharpie.

IMG_9558.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

Jas

Yep, that's what I did ........ except with a big blue chutney barrel.

recycled-mango-drum-5.jpg

I built my HLT and boiler using 33l FVs and kettle elements from Wilkos value kettles. The buckets I got from eBay and were about 10 each. The kettles were a fiver each. When you take the kettles apart it looks like this

IMG_9556.jpg

Just take the metal disc out that turns off the switch at boiling point. I used two elements for each boiler and just leaving one on once it's boiling keeps 30l at a nice rolling boil. I have completed 8 brew days with these and no problems at all so far. It's a really cheap boiler but it works for me. These elements have the 3 prongs on them that fit straight on to a kettle lead. I then added a standard lever valve and tank connector. I have since bought a couple more kettles just in case the elements pack up, but not needed them yet. I also had to draw on the graduations with a sharpie.

IMG_9558.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

Jas
was the kettles recent purchases and still the same design element for a kettle lead,and how long to get 23 litres up to a boil

id use two elements if poss, i have the peco boiler with one, im thinking of fitting a second one to bring it to the boil quicker, seems to take an age to get their. boils ok when it reaches boil though,,

Hi,
I made one out of a 50l bucket and on a couple of times been lucky to have the extra headroom when it comes to the boil.

I have one people element and one value kettle element. I use both to come to boil and use people for the boil as it's easier to clean but probably 2 value would be OK. Good to have 2 for fast heat up and backup if one fails.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi,
I made one out of a 50l bucket and on a couple of times been lucky to have the extra headroom when it comes to the boil.

I have one people element and one value kettle element. I use both to come to boil and use people for the boil as it's easier to clean but probably 2 value would be OK. Good to have 2 for fast heat up and backup if one fails.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
need to ask the question,people element?

was the kettles recent purchases and still the same design element for a kettle lead,and how long to get 23 litres up to a boil

Yes I bought them back in the summer, can't see them changing the design in that time. I have a couple of spare kettles that I bought last week as a back up, I'll look at them at the weekend. I have never timed how long it takes to get to the boil, but I would guess it's under half an hour when both elements are on?

Latest posts

Back