Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > Brew by James Morton

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #11
teadixon

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Hmmm, I see what you're saying but I kind of think don't knock it 'til you've tried it! I suppose this is also the first brewing book I got so it all seemed normal to me!

His Citra Triple Burst is also 12.5% ABV, not something you'd do often or guzzle down, but as a special one off brew, why not?

He does often pack in the hops, but there are plenty of more modest recipes in there too. I'm doing his Dry Paddy Porter this weekend - 80g of East Kent Goldings seems pretty reasonable (40g for me as I only do 10l batches).

Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #12
pms67

Liked 825 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadixon View Post
Hmmm, I see what you're saying but I kind of think don't knock it 'til you've tried it! I suppose this is also the first brewing book I got so it all seemed normal to me!

His Citra Triple Burst is also 12.5% ABV, not something you'd do often or guzzle down, but as a special one off brew, why not?

He does often pack in the hops, but there are plenty of more modest recipes in there too. I'm doing his Dry Paddy Porter this weekend - 80g of East Kent Goldings seems pretty reasonable (40g for me as I only do 10l batches).
It may seem as if im having a go at him but obviously im picking out the more extreme recipes, his style of writing is brilliant imo and more than half the book goes into depth on each brewing method but simple enough for a beginner to follow, i said on another thread though surely there comes a point you just cannot taste any more hops 600 is too much for me,maybe 300 max?for a start thats not far off £30 worth of hops alone,be an expensive homebrew, anyway enough rambling, hope your brew goes well mate 👍
teadixon Likes This 
Old 17-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
foxbat

Liked 174 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 169

I've got it and it's a good hardback book written in an irreverant style with loads of pictures. A good buy for someone getting started.

The content feels like it's written by an enthusiastic amateur who's condensed what he's read on the internet down into a readable package for beginners. Contrast that with the Graham Wheeler books that feel as if they're written by someone with many years of experience and have a more conservative style to match. I don't mean that to sound condescending because James' book is a good read.

Old 25-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #14
sven945

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I like it. It's heavy on the American IPAs, but it has a fairly standard recipe for many other styles (and the occasional unashamed clone, which he credits).

I'd say perhaps a downside is that he teaches "his" way of doing things (which happens to be very similar to how I do things), rather than a variety of methods for you to pick your own way forward. I'm glad that I didn't use this book to get me going from scratch, as I think I'd probably have less of an idea about how things are done on a larger scale, and for potential upgrades to kit. But I'd say it's a very good guide for "modern" craft homebrewing.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
Martybhoy1980

Liked 105 Times on 78 Posts

This was the first brew book I bought after getting fed up using the internet. Since then, my brews have seriously improved. He moved me from dry yeast to liquid yeast starters, fermentation temperature control, shorter fermentation and also provides a consistent reference guide.

Not all of his recipes have massive amounts of hops, many don't. But of those that do, I have made two and they are absolutely incredible (Extra IPA and Totally Tropical IPA).

To me, a few extra pounds is a price worth paying for amazing home brew. I don't home brew for cheap booze. I home brew so I can drink (hopefully) top quality beer.

I don't BIAB as James suggests in his book, but I use his recipes and other techniques and have totally improved my homebrew as a result.

Also, he has won a few prizes in homebrew competitions, and has recently opened his own brewery - Out of Town Brewing. He knows what he is doing.

So for anyone who still tries to make sense of homebrew from the internet, this is an excellent guide.
People Like This 
Old 04-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #16
pms67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martybhoy1980 View Post
This was the first brew book I bought after getting fed up using the internet. Since then, my brews have seriously improved. He moved me from dry yeast to liquid yeast starters, fermentation temperature control, shorter fermentation and also provides a consistent reference guide.

Not all of his recipes have massive amounts of hops, many don't. But of those that do, I have made two and they are absolutely incredible (Extra IPA and Totally Tropical IPA).

To me, a few extra pounds is a price worth paying for amazing home brew. I don't home brew for cheap booze. I home brew so I can drink (hopefully) top quality beer.

I don't BIAB as James suggests in his book, but I use his recipes and other techniques and have totally improved my homebrew as a result.

Also, he has won a few prizes in homebrew competitions, and has recently opened his own brewery - Out of Town Brewing. He knows what he is doing.

So for anyone who still tries to make sense of homebrew from the internet, this is an excellent guide.
Another Tim Martybhoy?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:53 PM   #17
Martybhoy1980

Liked 105 Times on 78 Posts

Hail Hail.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #18
pms67

Sound,thought i was the only one on here 👍

Old 06-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
Klemay83

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I got this book for Christmas. It's a great read.full of useful info in an easy to understand way. James and his friend have also recently launched their own brewery called Out Of Town brewery based in Glasgow.

Next Brews: Chocolate Cherry Stout or a Wheat beer or
a Trashy Blonde Clone

Old 20-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #20
pms67

I may be heading down the road of hop addition, but these recipes are looking more and more doable.
Once upon a time 100g seemed a lot, but now.........