Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Induction Brewing

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old Today, 11:53 AM   #1
phildo79

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Induction Brewing

Hey y’all

Bit of a tech query that hopefully someone has a bit of knowledge about.

I received a newsletter last week from BYO and there was an article about induction brewing. Quite interesting and something that I fancy trying. ATM I am just using my cooker top to get my 19L stock pot up to boiling temp. I generally have between 8 and 10 litres of fluid that I need to bring to the boil and that takes anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour (more likely to be closer to an hour).

So my query is do these induction hobs get your brew to the boil much quicker than stove tops?
If so, how much faster are we talking (roughly speaking)?
I’m guessing more expensive induction hobs do the job faster but have any of you guys had success with a more affordable device?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Currently drinking:
Experimental Speculoos Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Brooklyn Chocolate Stout " Original homebrew recipe
Zombie Dust IPA Clone

In the pipeline:
Founder’s Breakfast Stout Clone
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Stout Clone
Kwak Clone

Old Today, 12:15 PM   #2
sdt7618

Liked 183 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
So my query is do these induction hobs get your brew to the boil much quicker than stove tops?
If so, how much faster are we talking (roughly speaking)?
I’m guessing more expensive induction hobs do the job faster but have any of you guys had success with a more affordable device?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Dont know about the stand alone ones, but our induction hob in the kitchen can get a 2l pan of water to boil quicker than our kettle. They are pretty rapid

Old Today, 01:11 PM   #3
phildo79

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah but I wonder how long it would take to get 10 litres to the boil. My cooker is just a cheap Argos one that has that A+ rating sticker on it. I did use a friends cooker a couple of times and it was a bit quicker but it was nominal. He had an older, less eco-friendly cooker.

Old Today, 01:25 PM   #4
BeerCat

Liked 687 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 967

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildo79 View Post
Yeah but I wonder how long it would take to get 10 litres to the boil. My cooker is just a cheap Argos one that has that A+ rating sticker on it. I did use a friends cooker a couple of times and it was a bit quicker but it was nominal. He had an older, less eco-friendly cooker.
What size induction are you referring to? If you get a 2000w one its going to be the equivalent of all your whole hob and you can use them outside. Sorry i cant say exactly how long it takes to boil as i never timed it but an hour for 10l is a bit much. You will see a big improvement.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old Today, 02:00 PM   #5
phildo79

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure about the size. I've done a quick search online and there are a lot of different types out there. I basically just want one that my stock pot will sit on nicely and it'll get my brew boiling in under 20 minutes. What size of watt that is, I have no idea.

Old Today, 02:04 PM   #6
Clint

Liked 1119 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Get the biggest you can afford....incase you see a big shiny pot.....

Old Today, 02:17 PM   #7
BeerCat

Liked 687 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 967

As clint says get the biggest you can for when you upgrade. I bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-C...0AAOSwZqZaKnab paid about £70 sh. Its great and very well built. Or this would do you https://pulsar.ebay.co.uk/plsr/clk/0...bDcog%3D%22%7D

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel