Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Ace micro brewer

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 24-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #241
appositive

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got another five or so batches on the replacement unit without trouble. It remains very nice to use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkpancake View Post
Bleh don't take it to heart quite yet. You gotta think that it's a numbers game. Every product is going to have it's % of failure and lots of people are brewing with no problems whatsoever. I'll admit I have just accepted that I got a bad one but have worked through it and replaced things which would otherwise never contribute to the knowledge base other users. It's nice that is something does fail, you can just Youtube it on how to replace it
mgkpancake Likes This 
Old 29-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #242
terragady

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am pretty sure I have seen somewhere beersmith profile file for Ace/Klarstein 30L but can't find it now. Just found some outdated one. Can you guide me to the right place? I finally bought Klarstein for those who followed my topic.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #243
chor808

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bit of advice needed. I've had mine under a year and for the first time it started tripping out on the boil. This has not happened before, I run it always at 2500w and make sure it is clean after use. After each brew there is always a little burnt on wort where the element is. I'm just boiling water now to see if it trips with just water. I contacted Klarstein (hifi tower) and to be fair to them it has a two year cover and they want me to send it back for 'repair'. Now I'd rather they don't start messing with it if this is just burnt on wort.

Anyone had this issue and had it resolved by repair/replace or is this just normal function due to burnt on wort causing the trip out.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #244
foxy

Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Just normal to trip with burnt wort sticking on the bottom, I use half a grape fruit to clean mine but white vinegar will get it back shiny again. But no scouring.
chor808 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #245
Davemc

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chor808 View Post
Bit of advice needed. I've had mine under a year and for the first time it started tripping out on the boil. This has not happened before, I run it always at 2500w and make sure it is clean after use. After each brew there is always a little burnt on wort where the element is. I'm just boiling water now to see if it trips with just water. I contacted Klarstein (hifi tower) and to be fair to them it has a two year cover and they want me to send it back for 'repair'. Now I'd rather they don't start messing with it if this is just burnt on wort.

Anyone had this issue and had it resolved by repair/replace or is this just normal function due to burnt on wort causing the trip out.

Thanks!
People had problems using 2500w for boil if you look through posts its advisable to use a lower wattage to prevent issues. I use 1800w and have no issues so far.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #246
connor7932

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
Just normal to trip with burnt wort sticking on the bottom, I use half a grape fruit to clean mine but white vinegar will get it back shiny again. But no scouring.
i use lemon juice from £ shop and a green scouring pap

Old 07-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #247
soupdragon

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemc View Post
People had problems using 2500w for boil if you look through posts its advisable to use a lower wattage to prevent issues. I use 1800w and have no issues so far.
You run the risk of the circuit thingy breaking. All that cycling of the element on and off doesn't do it any good. At least that's what I've been told, makes sense though. Would be better if there was actually some way to reduce the power rather than it going on and off every few seconds.

Cheers. Tom

Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #248
terragady

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
You run the risk of the circuit thingy breaking. All that cycling of the element on and off doesn't do it any good. At least that's what I've been told, makes sense though. Would be better if there was actually some way to reduce the power rather than it going on and off every few seconds.

Cheers. Tom
I think you are wrong, in boiling relay is not turning on and off. It is just on all the time at specified wattage (by reducing duty cycle)

Old 07-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #249
foxy

Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 52

There is one more thing which I have yet to try to see if the power stops switching off and back on again, and that is to put 500 gram of rice hulls in with the mash according to Gordon Strong this will insulate the mash and give a more even temperature. In saying that his rig does not recirculate but I am now interested to know what it will do in the Ace.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #250
mgkpancake
No ragrets

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by chor808 View Post

Thanks!
I found it to be caused by a faulty temperature cut off sensor. Burnt wort accumulates on the bottom exasperating the heat built up causing the sensor to trip. I found that a sensor from a newer 3000w Guten(hopcat) fixed it right up. Bypass the sensor by unscrewing it from your kettle and zip tie it to a wire if you want to confirm its the issue (never run your kettle without water). A sensor like it can be purchased on ebay just make sure its 150-170c.

A lot of folks recommending to use lower wattage but I think the unit should be more than capable of being at 2500w 100% of the time (not that I recommend it).

I made it a video about it:

https://youtu.be/EWUoY1jfpj0

My brew rig back home (Denver, Colorado)
Looking for a TIG welder with a foot pedal, DC only is fine, msg me!