Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Ace micro brewer

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #251
mgkpancake
No ragrets

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Btw

I finally installed a fan to the relay setup (I wasn't having problems). I don't know if I should post in this thread anymore seeing as my Ace is no longer an Ace since I wired it up. But I want to share with you guys
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171203_183435.jpg   IMG_20171203_183439.jpg  

My brew rig back home (Denver, Colorado)
Looking for a TIG welder with a foot pedal, DC only is fine, msg me!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #252
soupdragon

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by terragady View Post
I think you are wrong, in boiling relay is not turning on and off. It is just on all the time at specified wattage (by reducing duty cycle)
I don't pretend to understand the finer workings of the unit but whenever I've set the machine to a lower power setting, the element clicks in and out every few seconds. The lower the setting, the longer it takes to click back on. I'd be interested to hear from someone with an electrical background to clarify the issue.
All I know is that if I set the machine to, say 1800w, it cycles on and off and the vigor of the boil reduces until the element kicks in again.

Cheers. Tom

Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #253
Bigcol49

Liked 830 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Hi!
I thought the element worked like an electric hob - reducing the setting on the control causes the element to switch off until the temperature range falls below the setting, then it comes on at full power until the range is overshot.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #254
soupdragon

That's how I'm told it works

Cheers. Tom

Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #255
terragady

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I do not hear any clicks during boiling, maybe in the newer version that is different? I can hear it on and off when I set a temp like 60C and it is 59.6 it clicks back and when 59.7 it clicks OFF but the element is warm enough to heat water to 60.3C. For boiling it is all the time ON in my case.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #256
soupdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terragady View Post
I do not hear any clicks during boiling, maybe in the newer version that is different? I can hear it on and off when I set a temp like 60C and it is 59.6 it clicks back and when 59.7 it clicks OFF but the element is warm enough to heat water to 60.3C. For boiling it is all the time ON in my case.
Do you have your machine insulated? I've got a couple of foil backed foam mats wrapped around mine to reduce heat loss. Maybe that's the reason for the cycling of the element?

Cheers. Tom

Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 AM   #257
Hiphop

At least in the not-newest controller, each of the two elements are controlled by a relay. So the elements are either on or off. By switching the elements on and off in intervalls the average power over time can be say 1800W. With the large mass of the wort and relatively long time to change temp, I would say this is an okay way to control the power.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #258
terragady

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
Do you have your machine insulated? I've got a couple of foil backed foam mats wrapped around mine to reduce heat loss. Maybe that's the reason for the cycling of the element?

Cheers. Tom
No not yet insulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphop View Post
At least in the not-newest controller, each of the two elements are controlled by a relay. So the elements are either on or off. By switching the elements on and off in intervalls the average power over time can be say 1800W. With the large mass of the wort and relatively long time to change temp, I would say this is an okay way to control the power.
Yes with relay it can be on or off but during on there can be different duty cycle like additional PWM controller somewhere in the circuit. For example similar to the one in dimmable lamps. I am not sure though as I didn't open mine yet.