Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > Labeling your own bottles

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 27-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #21
DrPips

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Beer labels

Threads merged - Chippy_Tea.

Hey guys,

Do any of you guys ever have labels printed for your brews?

Be interested to hear what you've had done.

Old 28-11-2016, 01:28 AM   #22
JapanBrew

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 476

I used to order labels but by the time I got the labels there was no more beer to label. I just write the brew number on the cap. In my living room, a black board with a description of the brew so guests can know what they're drinking.
When I do need a label, say to give to a friend, I just print one from my laser printer and apply with milk. Done.
People Like This 
Old 28-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #23
Nicknacknoo

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yup I got a load designed by my cousin and printed by my mate. See attached. Also if you use brewersfriend.com recipe builder thingy, there's an auto label maker, you just have to print them off on sticky backed paper.....simples
Attached Thumbnails
nicksbeer-page-001.jpg  
Aphid Likes This 
Old 28-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #24
darrellm

Liked 474 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 51

All my bottles get labelled with the beer name, strength and date of bottling. I keep a decent stash in the garage and always amazes me how long some of them have been in there, I've still got a load from early summer and some Brewferm Belgians from over a year ago.

I use Avery L7173 labels and the online software on the Avery website. Don't be tempted to use cheap labels as the glue can be a real PITA to get off, I've done tests with loads of different types over the years and find branded Avery ones are the best for soaking off. I've also done the milk and paper method but cutting up 40 labels isn't my idea of fun.

Old 28-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #25
Nicknacknoo

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Using the milk idea is it best to use full, half, or skimmed.

drinking Salzburg Marzen
conditioning English bitter, Affligem clone
Secondary Christmas ale
Planning Oat stout and Imperial stout

Old 28-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #26
JapanBrew

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknacknoo View Post
Using the milk idea is it best to use full, half, or skimmed.

drinking Salzburg Marzen
conditioning English bitter, Affligem clone
Secondary Christmas ale
Planning Oat stout and Imperial stout
I think it depends if you want your bottles to put on weight or stay sexy and thin.
I don't think it matters.
People Like This 
Old 22-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #27
Aphid

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellm View Post
I use Avery L7173 labels and the online software on the Avery website. Don't be tempted to use cheap labels as the glue can be a real PITA to get off, I've done tests with loads of different types over the years and find branded Avery ones are the best for soaking off. I've also done the milk and paper method but cutting up 40 labels isn't my idea of fun.
Tried attatching a few inkjet labels with milk on some PET bottles. Great to start with. Next day they had all dried and fallen off. Worth a try, though. Maybe better on glass bottles. So I am on the lookout for an alternative. Using Avery labels could be the solution if they are easily removed, as you say they are.

I have a few questions, please.

I see that the Avery L7173 labels you use are 10 to a page. Do you find they are big enough or have you considered sheets with 8 or even 6 to a page?
Not sure if you bottle in glass or plastic. Would the labels be as easy to remove on PET bottles?
Do the Avery templates have beer label templates that can be edited or do you need to create your own design from scratch?

Old 22-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #28
Bigcol49

Liked 827 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Hi!
Although not aesthetically pleasing, small labels tied around the neck with string can clearly indicate beer type, strength and date of bottling and no sticking required.

Old 22-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #29
BrannBrew
Damo Brann

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I started out with small tags tied with string, then found some floppy disk labels I've now recently started using glossy printable wine bottle labels, they arnt cheap 10 sheets each with 4 labels was about �£10. They do however make the bottles look really pro with sometime on Photoshop.
Two images below from the ones I've made for a Xmas gift for dad

Drunk: Saison of Love (dry hopped saison) punk ipa clone, Fimbulwinter BIPA, Santa Panda(Spiced Orange Pale),The Saison of Love (dry hopped saison), G.E.B. (Galaxy, El Dorado, Bravo) American Pale Ale
Next in Line: Galactic Panda (BIPA),

Old 22-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #30
BeardySi

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The ink jet printed labels stuck on with milk work very well on glass bottles. I distressed a few for props with wet wore wool and they weren't shifting! It's very ink intensive though, so it'll get expensive fast!

Yourbrew.co.uk have recently started offering 50 labels for £6.50 and they look great.
I've only tried removing one so far and it seemed very gummy but came off OK. Will probably work better if I'm not rushing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk