Elderberry Wine may smell like vinegar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
I bottled a litre 'overflow' elderberry today, as I needed the smaller airlocked bottle for my latest brew.

It tastes pretty raw as expected (spare glass) and to me still smells like elderberries. Tastes like wine though. When I was bottling it, me daughter said she could smell vinegar in the kitchen. the Mrs smelled the glass, and could vaguely smell it, but very slightly..

I honestly can't, but could be in denial (I've got x2 full DJ's and another overlow 750ml bottle)

Has anyone experienced this that wasn't terminal?

23/10 - Made. Simmered fruit method, onto camden - yeast etc 24hrs later
30/10 - racked onto Camden

The overflow bottles, and the x2 DJ's are crystal clear. I haven't added anything else or degassed. It's the darkest dark red I've ever seen, looks like port. Sediment is compact and 5mm.

What should I do with the remaining batch? Bottle? Rack? Camden again? (don't want to use too much)

HELP :doh:

Hopefully it was coming from the lip of the fv or the outside or even contents of the airlock water, might be helpful to put a little bit of crushed camden in your airlock. If in the wine then a camden will be needed.

Hopefully it was coming from the lip of the fv or the outside or even contents of the airlock water, might be helpful to put a little bit of crushed camden in your airlock. If in the wine then a camden will be needed.

the smell is when the airlock was removed :-(

I've racked onto x1 camden per DJ, and bottled. Smashed a bottle during doing so (all over kitchen floor, under skirting and up wall :doh: the Mrs isn't impressed). There is definitely a faint vinegar smell, unless its just the elderberry - they really don't smell very nice from picking to making. I don't think I'll be picking any next year considering the abundance of blackberry round here and how lovely the BB wine is so far - what a **** on from picking, stripping, simmering and 1-3 year aging. Sod that.

I've had another taste , and no bad taste - its just very strong and very young .. Tastes like wine, and is dark and clear as a bell.

Ah well, its only x11 bottles - have stuck them in the garage for next Christmas, either wine if good, mulled wine if poor, and red wine vinegar if its goosed.

Al

Latest posts

Back