Nøgne ø

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddyg84

Reaction score
Tasted a delicious porter tobight, name is in the title of this post. Really complex maltiness with hints of coffee and cherry. Was 7%

Any recommendations for porter recipes people have tried that sound like this? All grain.

What they say about it;

Ingredients: Maris Otter, Munich, caramel, black malt, and chocolate malt; Centennial and Northern Brewer hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

No clue what the ratios are though. But someone should join in quite soon.

Thanks very much I suppose I could have an experiment with those ingredients

Good thinking. I emailed the brewery there to see what I find out. Def worth a taste guys if you see it about. Will share any info I get back.

I would also be worth considering that their water will most likely be epically good. And will give a certain character to the beer that you won't be able to recreate.

But getting the recipe from them and doing a basic water profile should help get you somewhere near.

Post the recipe when you get some info back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also be worth considering that their water will most likely be epically good. And will give a certain character to the beer that you won't be able to recreate.

But getting the recipe from them and doing a basic water profile should help get you somewhere near.

Post the recipe when you get some info back.

I second this.

Tasted a delicious porter tobight, name is in the title of this post. Really complex maltiness with hints of coffee and cherry. Was 7%

Any recommendations for porter recipes people have tried that sound like this? All grain.

I like the sound of the cherry I wonder where that came from.. Id like some cherry in my porters.

And saying that I just had a pint of Windsor and Eton's mandarin Christmas beer and that has no mandarins in it:wha:

So got an email back from the brewery and surprisingly they just gave me the recipe. Here it is

Porter
OG 1.068/ 17*P, 30 IBU, 7%alc.

77% Maris Otter Pale malt
8% Crystal malt
6% Munich malt
4% Chocolate malt
3% Black malt
2% Pale chocolate malt

Mash in at 65*C and hold for 45 minutes, 72 *C for 15 min, 78*C mashout
Run off until you reach gravity 1.062/15,5*P
Boil for 90 minutes
Bittering hop (Aurora) to 40 IBU
3 g/l Northern Brewer hop, the last 15 minutes of boil
Add water if necessary to reach gravity 1.068/17*P

Ferment with a neutral English ale yeast (we use wlp007 from Whitelabs) at 20*C

Picked up the Nøgne Pale Ale and the Nøgne Saison in M&S there £1.67 for the pale and £2.50 for the saison both 330ml bottles. Hope they're nice, will find out later.

I used to adore Nøgne, but not had any in a while, didn't realise they'd started selling in either 330ml or M&S. Seems they got bought by one of the Macros recently, but if they're more widely available with no loss in quality then no complaints.

Back