Woodfordes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been reading all the posts reference drinking ale once it has been made.
I have 2 questions.

Question 2
I have just put my woodfordes sundew in my Primary bucket on 19th December, im looking at leaving it in there for a minimum of 3 weeks checking the hydrometer and then if below 1010 I am looking at putting it in my secondary bucket, for a further 2 weeks for the beer to clean it self up, and then adding my sugar to prime the ale and then I am looking at bottling it.

I am thinking about putting it away until at least June / July time in the loft where I cant get at it.

Is this a good way of going about making a decent beer or am I going about things the wrong way.

Please any straight advice would be good.
:thumb:

Question 2

I have got Scottish Export in my Primary bucket I am looking at doing 2 weeks 2 weeks and then 2 weeks as this is only a cheap 1 can with 1 kg Bre enhancer and 250g sssspraymalt.
Has anyone got any other guidance on this please.
Cheers
Big D 2657

Hi all,

I have 2 questions.

Question 2
I have just put my woodfordes sundew in my Primary bucket on 19th December, im looking at leaving it in there for a minimum of 3 weeks checking the hydrometer and then if below 1010 I am looking at putting it in my secondary bucket, for a further 2 weeks for the beer to clean it self up, and then adding my sugar to prime the ale and then I am looking at bottling it.

I am thinking about putting it away until at least June / July time in the loft where I cant get at it.

Is this a good way of going about making a decent beer or am I going about things the wrong way.

Question 2

I have got Scottish Export in my Primary bucket I am looking at doing 2 weeks 2 weeks and then 2 weeks as this is only a cheap 1 can with 1 kg Bre enhancer and 250g sssspraymalt.
Cheers
Big D 2657

You were up early this morning!

In answer to your first question, I don't see a problem with your techniques. However, I think it's unnecessary to wait circa 6 months to try a beer that you've made. I'd start drinking that beer at the latest end of February. It won't go off if you wait longer, but I just don't think any benefits (if there are any) will be worth the wait. Others might disagree.

I can't help with the second question.

You've picked up nicely on the need for conditioining, but it'll probably be fine at Easter, though leave it longer if you wish.

I really wouldn't put beer in the loft in the summer, temps up there will be high and you'll end up with exploding bottles.

Finally, keep the temp up with the Woodforde's kits, they're know for sticking and getting a little cool will help this, which is what you don't want.

It is likely that your Export beer is a darker beer which generally benefit from longer conditioning times so try one after two weeks conditioning by all means, but expect it to improve (up to a point) the longer you leave it. Cheap kits sometimes have the dreaded 'twang' which some on here say goes after a long conditioning time, which is another reason for keeping it longer.

I made a batch of sundew last summer, 2 weeks in primary then bottled. The single plastic bottle was fully carbonated after a week and the beer was tasty from about 12 days in the bottle. Don't think this one needs a long ageing period, mine was all drank within 2 months of opening the first and didn't see much improvement with time.

Thanks guys for all the info there ive taken it on board, and hopefully should have some nice beer come easter time.
Big D 2657

Hi pope,

Thank you very much for the quick reply and I will certainly try some bottles at the end of February.

Also I might put a couple of piccies up and a bit of a review on how it tastes, if anyone would be interested.:drink:

Heres to happy beer drinking that little bit earlier.:)
Big D 2657

Hi Terry M

I have put beer enhance and spray malt with the export, would this, mean it may still have a horrible homebrew twang or should my added exras sort out this problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice on my little problem.

Big D 2657

Hi Terry M

I have put beer enhance and spray malt with the export, would this, mean it may still have a horrible homebrew twang or should my added exras sort out this problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice on my little problem.

Big D 2657
Sorry, realistically I have no idea how your kit will turn out. You appear to have added the normal adjuncts to your kit, but it does really depend on the kit itself.
The reviews on the kit
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17900
are mixed.
I would follow all the usual procedures and it may turn out a good'un, time will tell.

Hi all,

I have 2 questions.

Question 2

Question 2

Cheers
Big D 2657
There is no need to transfer to a second bucket to "clear itself up" unless you are putting it a corny. After 3 wekks or when the FG is about 1.010, prime and bottle. It will condition in the bottle. If you bottle from the second bucket there will be very little suspended yeast, so very little carbonation.

Thanks Johnyboy 1965,

I really didn't realise that I didn't have to transfer into a second bucket, that is great news as it has saved me a lot of work.

How long do you think I should leave it in the bottles before I try to drink it then.

Thanks in advance

Big D 2657

Latest posts

Back