Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > Strange-steve's Homebrew Reviews

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 27-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #21
dad_of_jon
Beer designer

Liked 1023 Times on 765 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

Had Steve's 8.3% bier de garde earlier.

Light body and very quaffable a reddish orange tint to it. Low bitterness sits well with the Light carbonation and a delicious subtle after tang, like you get in some belgians that gives you that extra dimension just when you thought the beer has finished. The only bier de garde I drink often is 3 monts and steves beer is more spicier and interesting than that, it has a mild saison finish. It was uber drinkable now. I know you're suppose to let them keep, but if that was my brew it wouldn't last long enough for further aging.

it would be good to lay a few down to see what it does next but i'd be making my way through the stock if it was my beer. - well done Steve for a deliciously different beer.

Name-style-abv%- bottles

Yassim - RIS - 8% - 53
Duvalex - 100% extract triple-8.55% - 39
Ale Cid - golden ale/cider hybrid-6.7% - 2
Who's Garden? - belgian wit-5.58% - 1
Seasons to be cheerful pt 2 -Saison-7% - 2
King Kong - Big black Belgian Quad-12.86% - 10
East vs West - Belgian RIS-9% - 21
Risky Business II-8.2%- 8
Stealth triple-7.22% - 2
Ris-ky business-10.37% - 3
Sleighed in Belgium-9.3% - 3
People Like This 
Old 27-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #22
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 953 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMick View Post
Glad you liked it.
It's definitely going in for the comp, will be good to get more feedback on it.
I reckon you'll do well (unfortunately, since I'm entering )

Old 27-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Thanks @dad_of_jon I appreciate the review and I'm pleased you liked it. It's a fairly simple style to brew and one that I'll be revisiting soon, this one was a combination of pilsner and munich malt with a little crystal for colour, fermented with kolsh yeast.

It's only about 3 months old, but I have stashed most of them away for some aging to see what happens.
Old 14-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #24
dad_of_jon
Beer designer

Default Steve's Quad Thingy.

Drunk last weekend, I made notes as I was trying it out because I was pretty tired at the time. My sneaky suspicion I'd not get around to posting the review for a few days was correct .

Pouring - Light Carbonation, safe to pour moderately quickly as I couldn't wait.

Aroma - Raisins, sultanas, dark fruit

Taste & body - you know it's 10% with the alcohol character at the front. The beauty of this is that if you're not a fan of liqourice, the alcohol subdues it making for a more pleasant mild liqorice flavor. I've had some truly awful licorice bombs from Belgium so Steve's beer shows how liqorice should be done. I thought that was it! but then got coffee at the end, that was a really pleasant surprise. with some sultanas as well.

Focused yet complex, I recommend speaking nicely to Steve and arranging a bottle swap You'd be happy to be served a bottle of this in Belgium.

Steve: I couldn't choose between this and your bier de garde I enjoyed them both. Thanks for the choice of styles sent.

Name-style-abv%- bottles

Yassim - RIS - 8% - 53
Stealth triple-7.22% - 2

Old 15-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #25
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Thanks again @dad_of_jon for the kind words. I made this beer after reading Brew Like A Monk and I was fascinated by the simplicity of most of the great Belgian beers, so this recipe was simply 84% pale malt and 16% homemade candi sugar, styrian golding hops and Wyeast 3787.
People Like This 
Old 15-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #26
dad_of_jon
Beer designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
Thanks again @dad_of_jon for the kind words. I made this beer after reading Brew Like A Monk and I was fascinated by the simplicity of most of the great Belgian beers, so this recipe was simply 84% pale malt and 16% homemade candi sugar, styrian golding hops and Wyeast 3787.
no probs, I really enjoyed them.

you can never go wrong with candi sugar

I was surprised to find I can do belgian beers and equally that lagers are much harder to do i'd have thought it would have been the other way around!

Name-style-abv%- bottles

Yassim - RIS - 8% - 53
Stealth triple-7.22% - 2
strange-steve Likes This 
Old 15-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #27
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Tonight's beer is a coffee stout brewed by @peteplus1 which I've been looking forward to, because my recent attempt at a breakfast stout was a disaster...

Appearance
Pours like motor oil, looks fantastic, opaque black with a lovely tan head, good lacing.

Aroma
Smells delicious, rich dark roasty coffee and dark chocolate, some fruitiness. Very enticing.

Flavour
Loads of roast flavours, nice coffee flavour, a slight acidic tang (possibly from the coffee) which is quite pleasant, a long very dry finish with just a hint of dark fruit at the end.

Overall Impression
Mouthfeel is excellent, full bodied and very smooth. The carbonation is light but perfect for my taste. A very enjoyable stout, nice clean flavours and I could happily drink a few of these. The coffee wasn't a strong as I was expecting but it's well balanced and very easy drinking. Thanks for sending me this mate, I'd like to see your recipe cos I really want to brew a good coffee stout someday!

Old 18-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #28
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Tonight it's the turn of a California common brewed by @JFB
It's not a style I'm very familiar with, I've had Anchor Steam but that's probably about the only one I've had, so looking forward to this one.

Appearance
Very nice amber colour with a thin white head which lasted well.

Aroma
Malty, caramel aroma with fruity esters. Reminds me of a good cask bitter.

Flavour
Sweet malty flavours initially with lots of yeast derived fruit then a long dry finish with a caramel flavour at the end.

Overall Impression
A very drinkable beer with a good depth of rich, maltiness. I'm curious what yeast you used for this beer because it seems to be a lot more estery than I'd expect for the style (I'm going to take a guess that it's a Mangrove Jack yeast?). It's a good attempt at the style, perhaps just a little less fermentation character would allow the malts to take centre stage, but still an enjoyable beer. Thanks for letting me taste it, and looking forward to the next one

People Like This 
Old 18-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #29
JFB

Liked 181 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Glad you enjoyed the beer. Used the cali larger yeast from mangrove jack brewed at 17c. Its the second time Ive brewed with the yeast and it does give off esters even when fermented low. I did think fizzy bitter when drinking!
Went down very well with the Czech guys at work who love there larger.
Next time I try the style I'm going to give wilkos yeast ago at 14c and see how that goes for a cleaner taste.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #30
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

This is the second of the beers sent by @JFB this time it's an 8.5% Belgian strong ale

Appearance
Very nice golden colour with a decent white head and good lacing, very good clarity.

Aroma
Spicy, clove - like phenols, light malt and a hint of fruit, exactly as I'd expect for the style. Slight hint of sulphur.

Flavour
Lots of spice, a good level of hop bitterness, pleasant dry finish with some grainy pilsner malt and a big kick of alcohol in the finish.

Overall Impression
Hits all the right notes for the style, I'm guessing this is something of a Duvel like recipe? The spice is well balanced, as is the level of hop bitterness, prominent but not overboard. A very pleasant maltiness in the finish and the light body and high carbonation make it very easy drinking. The alcohol is a little harsh at the minute, but that'll age out nicely. I'm going to guess again that this was a Mangrove Jack yeast? Thanks for the tasting mate I thoroughly enjoyed both the beers. I'll get a biere de garde sent out to you hopefully early next week