Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > IainM's brew day

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 23-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #11
Manxnorton

Liked 493 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

M8,
Great thread.
Learning all the time pal.
I'm trying to master lagers at the mo, getting there.
After experimenting with hops I'm keen t experiment with yeast
L8r pal

https://bdaa.co.uk/

Brian

Drinking
Morrisons craft ales n nearly my stocks!!
Fermenting
Red X IPA-Lager Hybrid 12l
Bottled/kegged
Hazel n amaretto Broon ale
Kris's double IPA 19l
Conditioning
Shipyard Rye ale 22l
Guinness extra stout
Fosters clone
NEXT BREW DAY
Thinking grapefruit IPA
IainM Likes This 
Old 23-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
IainM

Liked 806 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxnorton View Post
M8,
Great thread.
Learning all the time pal.
I'm trying to master lagers at the mo, getting there.
After experimenting with hops I'm keen t experiment with yeast
L8r pal
Cheers Bri!
Manxnorton Likes This 
Old 23-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
BeerCat

Liked 691 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 969

Very enjoyable read Ian. You are right your element does look very black. But at least you had the sense not to enter your burned beer into a competition unlike my gormless self.
I accidentally turned my old burco on without any water in and a lot of the coating popped off. Then i got some wire wool on it. I bet a lot of my beer brewed with that was scorched and i probably put it down to off flavours.

Conditioning Lager, Kolsch, Pumpkin ale, Caramel Stout, NEIPA

Drinking Saaz Kolsch, Rye Kolsch, Kveik Cascade pale ale, Amarillo & Cascade IPA
Manxnorton Likes This 
Old 23-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #14
IainM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
Very enjoyable read Ian. You are right your element does look very black. But at least you had the sense not to enter your burned beer into a competition unlike my gormless self.
I accidentally turned my old burco on without any water in and a lot of the coating popped off. Then i got some wire wool on it. I bet a lot of my beer brewed with that was scorched and i probably put it down to off flavours.
That was nothing compared to some of the previous batches! I guess I'll be doing short boils from now until I save up for an ACE or similar. At least with those you can scrape the bottom with a paddle.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 23-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #15
BeerCat

Liked 691 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 969

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
That was nothing compared to some of the previous batches! I guess I'll be doing short boils from now until I save up for an ACE or similar. At least with those you can scrape the bottom with a paddle.
I have had to scrape the bottom of the ace with a wallpaper stripper before. Now i recirculate though i don't get any more scorching. Just means if you boil in it as well you need to give it a quick clean first. Good on you for milling your own grain. Some of the stuff i have been using is almost like flour.

Conditioning Lager, Kolsch, Pumpkin ale, Caramel Stout, NEIPA

Drinking Saaz Kolsch, Rye Kolsch, Kveik Cascade pale ale, Amarillo & Cascade IPA

Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #16
IainM

So, I added the second 100g dry hop to the IPA last Wednesday, and bottled tonight with 145g dextrose batch prime, so should end up at 8.5% abv. Got 55 330ml bottles, and the trial jar tasted amazing. I could've drunk a skinkfull from the fv. I have a feeling that this is going the best beer I've ever brewed, and by no small margin.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 08-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #17
yeastinfection

Liked 261 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
The NE/D-IPA went well. I got a decent 80% mash efficiency and 71% brewhouse, so bumped up the volume a bit to 22L at 1.070 in the fv. Wort was very nice, bitter and the right colour. Despite all my efforts to avoid scorching, including only a 35 minute boil and cleaning the element after the mash, the element was still burnt. The element isn't as bad as it has been, so hopefully this hasn't damaged the wort as in previous brews. I have high hopes on this one. Now, though, I'm thinking I'm either going to have to get a new element, or perhaps cut my losses and get an ACE or GF and use the peco as a HLT, or just do maxi-BIAB in the stock pot.

I give a light brush on the right:

After scrubbing:

The stuff is a bugger to get off. Can't believe it ended up like this after a 35min boil, even though it was pristine when it went in. It is now sitting in vinegar.
i had the same issue when i did hobgoblin clone, it took me ages to clean it,

Old 02-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #18
IainM

So, I haven't really been keeping this up to date. Since the last post I did a cider kit, brewed short with honey for a nice 7.5%, which hopefully will be good for drinking at the end of summer. Then, week before last I put on 20L of clibit's Simcoe Mild as my first brew with the Bulldog Brewer.

2.600 kg Maris Otter Malt (74.71%)
0.400 kg Wheat Malt (11.49%)
0.300 kg Crystal 75 (8.62%)
0.140 kg Black Malt (4.02%)
0.040 kg Chocolate (1.15%)
10.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13% AA) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Simcoe Leaf @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Simcoe Leaf @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
US-05

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my review of it, the 1800W element wasn't working so it barely simmered, so I ended up with 23.5L bottled (75% brewhouse efficiency, 1.032 to 1.006, giving about 3.5% abv). The low boil has left some DMS in it, and it does have a distinct cooked corn taste, but it isn't unpleasant. With the Bulldog Brewer now with Hambleton Bard for fixing, I decided to do a half batch of Russian Imperial Stout on the stovetop today, which I pitched directly onto the yeast cake left by the Mild. This is my own recipe, but sort of inspired by strange-steve's Event Horizon.

12L batch. 15L boil.
4kg Minch Pale
0.5kg Wheat
0.2kg Special W
0.4kg Roasted barley
0.36kg Chocolate
10g Zeus pellets (16.6%) 60 min
70g EKG leaf (5.5%) 60min
30g EKG leaf 15 min

Grain was milled very fine, and doughing in was easy with the 30" beast of a mash paddle I bought in the HBC Paddys day sale. Mashed in 12L for 70 mins at 63C, with a stir after 30 mins and 60 mins, squeezed the life out of the bag, sparged with 7L at 80C then squeezed again. I was aiming for 1.100, and got 12L into the fv with an OG of 1.102, so hit the numbers almost spot on (72% brewhouse). I imagine this finishing at around 1.020, so around the 11% mark. Trials jar tasted good, a decent amount of bitterness. Hopefully this will be ready for the Imperial Stout competition next year, or at least the Christmas after.
dad_of_jon Likes This 
Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #19
IainM

Incredibly, the Russian Imperial Stout appeared to have fermented out and the krausen dropped in only 2 days at 18C. I check today, after 5 days in the fv, and the SG has dropped from 1.102 to 1.022, so around the 11% mark. I was expecting the trial jar to taste very hot and green, but amazingly it tastes pretty decent already. I was planning on leaving it in the fv for three weeks, but I think it'll be good to bottle next week. Can't wait to try this after its had time to condition. After my earlier nightmares with big beers I'm stoked that the process has improved to the point that I've had two in a row working so well.
grmski Likes This 
Old 17-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #20
IainM

Today I will be mostly brewing a rye IPA, the second brew on the shiny Bulldog Brewer. Never brewed with rye before, but at 17% of the grist it shouldn't get too gummy and I can't be arsed with a glucan rest. However, I don't have any rice husks, so it might turn into a lautering nightmare. I'll crush the rye at 0.75mm and the the pale malt at 1.25mm, so hopefully the barley husks will create a passable grain bed. I'll also do a fairly thin mash which should help. Apparently rye can dry a beer out, so I'm putting a reasonable level of crystal and cara-pils to counteract this. I'm planning to chuck 150g in total of Mosaic, Amarillo and Centennial leaf at various points in the last 15 minutes of the boil, as well as a pretty epic simcoe/galaxy/amarillo dry hop. Anyway, the missus and I have been invited to a Polish brunch this morning, something to do with extended Easter celebrations that are customary in Poland, and then a two hour drive to Cambridge before I can get this done. Suffice to say I've already made my excuses for not hanging around after brunch.

23L, 1.055, 5.6% avb, 52 IBUs
4.5kg Minch pale
1kg Malted rye
200g Minch Cara-pils
200g Minch Crystal

27 IBUs of bitterness at 60 mins (probably Zeus and a bit of Warrior)
10g each Centennial (9.8%), Mosiac (11.3%) and Amarillo (9.2%) leaf at 15 mins
20g each of the same three at 5 mins
20g each steeped for 30 mins at 80C

Dry hop: not entirely sure yet, but I have 35g Simcoe pellets and 250g of Amarillo and Galaxy pellets in the freezer.
BeerCat Likes This