Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > IainM's brew day

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 17-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #21
BeerCat

Liked 687 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 967

Looks good, i bet its going to be a great beer! I did a cross between Punk IPA and Jaipur with 20% Rye and it was awesome. Don't normally get a stuck mash using Rye but last time i had to use a coffee grinder and it came out like flour. Was a nightmare. I had ordered uncrushed by mistake.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel
IainM Likes This 
Old 17-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #22
IainM

Liked 798 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Well, the Polish brunch went of far longer than expected, so I started far later than expected. Thus, it was a bit of a rushed brew, but a learning experience for the Bulldog Brewer. First mistake I made was to assume that the 2L Ashbeck bottles of water have 2L in them. I though I had mashed in with 22L and sparged with 10L, but I ended up with 30L to boil. I definitely used 16 2L bottles, I counted them! The extra strike water meant that, once the grain was doughed in, the water level was above the overflow pipe, so the recirculation wasn't recirculating through the grain. The second mistake was to assume that the temperature sensor was accurate and not check the strike water temperature with a thermometer, so I ended up mashing at 69C instead of the intended 66C. Still, despite these issues, I did the boil at the full 2500W and got 22L at 1.052 so not too far off the numbers and the trial jar tasted decent. I still have high hopes for this one.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 17-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #23
IainM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
Looks good, i bet its going to be a great beer! I did a cross between Punk IPA and Jaipur with 20% Rye and it was awesome. Don't normally get a stuck mash using Rye but last time i had to use a coffee grinder and it came out like flour. Was a nightmare. I had ordered uncrushed by mistake.
Cheers BeerCat, that is encouraging. I hope this one turns out well too!
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 17-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #24
BeerCat

Liked 687 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 967

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
Cheers BeerCat, that is encouraging. I hope this one turns out well too!

Sure is will be excellent. I am doing a Rye BIPA tomorrow. Checked my notes and i did a Rye Kolsch which was 47% Rye and that was no problem. Hoping i can pick out the Rye taste when its ready. I watched a video the other night about a 100% Rye BIAB beer and apparently that is very gelatinous like cooking okra.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 27-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #25
IainM

I'm a bit surprised by how low the Rye IPA has gone. Despite mashing at 69C, it has dropped from 1.052 to 1.006 where it seems stable. 6% abv is a bit higher than I anticipated, but I can't complain. I added 15g Simcoe, 50g Amarillo and 50g Galaxy on Sunday at the end of the fermentation. Will add the same again tonight and bottle Monday. The trial jar is promising, clear, dry and hoppy with a lovely colour.
BeerCat Likes This 
Old 27-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #26
Manxnorton

Liked 491 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1519

Great one Mick.
Love reading your progress
Bri

https://bdaa.co.uk/

Brian

Drinking
Morrisons craft ales n nearly my stocks!!
Fermenting
Red X IPA-Lager Hybrid 12l
Bottled/kegged
Hazel n amaretto Broon ale
Kris's double IPA 19l
Conditioning
Shipyard Rye ale 22l
Guinness extra stout
Fosters clone
NEXT BREW DAY
Thinking grapefruit IPA

Old 12-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #27
IainM

OK, a quick update. The Rye IPA is good. A proper hop bomb. If I were to do it again I'd tone back the bitterness, or counterbalance it with more crystal malts, or mash a bit higher temp. It is a little dry, so won't be winning any competitions, but I'd be happy to pay for it. Since then I've put on a widebuddy merlot 30 bottle kit with 3L Asda 100% red grape juice and two Muntons red grape juice concentrate. Will bottle that tomorrow. Today I put on a clone of Gales Festival Mild. The original won CAMRA awards for Winter Beer of Britain in 2003, 2004 and 2006, before Gales brewery was bought by Fullers and it was consigned to history. At 5.3% it is closer to a historical mild than the weaker modern versions. The Gales yeast was apparently "borrowed" by a US brewery and is now available as Wyeast Northwest Ale, so I've done it with that. Should be a fairly fruity yeast. Anyway, the recipe was adapted from Graham Wheeler's Brew Your Own British Ale. My efficiency was higher than the book assumed, so I didn't bother with the white sugar and still hit the numbers, and I didn't have any black malt so I subbed for roasted barley. My fuggles are quite high AA%, but I kept the quantities because I shortened the boil from 90 to 60 mins and I don't mind a little extra bitterness.

25L @ 1.054
5kg Pale
320g Roasted Barley
175g crystal malt
90g torrified wheat
Total grain = 5.6ishkg - used 16L for dough in, after 1.1mm crush.
67C 90 min mash.
51g fuggles leaf (6.5%AA) 60min
20g fuggles leaf 10min
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale 1.5L starter

I'm thinking about taking half of this, splitting that half into four, and doing a "twist" for each, then selecting the best one as an entry for Thornbridge's Great British Homebrew competition. I'm currently thinking about toffee apple, maple, pistachio and blueberry. Though I'm also contemplating coconut, peanut butter, orange, black/morello cherry, salted caramel, raspberry or coffee. Hmmm....
BeerCat Likes This 
Old 13-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #28
Martybhoy1980

Liked 103 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hi Iain, can I ask where you got your grain mill from and how much it was?

Old 13-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #29
IainM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martybhoy1980 View Post
Hi Iain, can I ask where you got your grain mill from and how much it was?
Hey Marty. It's the bulldog malt mill. It was a gift, so I can't check where they got it from, but it was an online shop and I think cost somewhere around £85.

Old 18-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #30
IainM

The Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast is the most flocculant strain I've used, even more than WLP002! I just check the hydrometer reading after a week in the fv, expecting for it to be finished as it had stopped releasing CO2, but my 1.054 ale was at 1.028. I've never had a stuck beer before. The krausen had solidified across the fv and wasn't dropping back in! Just raised the temp from 19 to 20C, and given it a gentle stir. Hopefully it will restart.