Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Brewing With Chocolate

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 16-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4393 Times on 3330 Posts
Likes Given: 4622

Default Brewing With Chocolate

We regularly have someone ask how to add chocolate to beer. Here is a really comprehensive article from HomeBrewTalk on how to do just that

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/brewing-with-chocolate.html

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

People Like This 
Old 29-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
BeerisGOD

Liked 255 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 638

I'm thinking of creating a syrup/extract with 100g of cocao powder. Using sugar, vanilla extract. Leaving in fridge over night. Then put in the boil. I've heard it's a bit bitter otherwise. But then wouldn't the sugars from the malts not be enough?

Old 29-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
BeerCat

Liked 686 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 967

I think extract is wasted in the boil and better to add it in secondary or bottling. For the boil i would use a couple of vanilla beans. Cheapest i buy them for is £6 for 4. The coco powder is very bitter and adds more perceived bitterness which is why adding lactose can be good or more crystal. If you add sugar to the boil it will thin out the beer and ferment out so not exactly sure what the point of leaving it overnight is. I have just made a stout with a caramel sauce though so i guess that's just the same. I plan to try out some chocolate essence soon. Will split a stout and add various flavours.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel
BeerisGOD Likes This 
Old 29-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
BeerisGOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
I think extract is wasted in the boil and better to add it in secondary or bottling. For the boil i would use a couple of vanilla beans. Cheapest i buy them for is £6 for 4. The coco powder is very bitter and adds more perceived bitterness which is why adding lactose can be good or more crystal. If you add sugar to the boil it will thin out the beer and ferment out so not exactly sure what the point of leaving it overnight is. I have just made a stout with a caramel sauce though so i guess that's just the same. I plan to try out some chocolate essence soon. Will split a stout and add various flavours.
I think I'll go for crystal as the cheapest I've seen the lactose is on eBay and it's around six quid! Unless this is supermarkets cheaper?
GerritT Likes This 
Old 29-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Sadfield

Liked 423 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I've said this before, but the easiest way to get chocolate flavour into beer is to use Chocolate malt, does exactly what name suggests and has no disadvantages like adding head killing fats, odd textures or adding extra processes to fermentation. Steep it and add to a kit or extract brew, or add to mash before sparge to get flavour and colour with reduced roasty bitterness.

Chocolate Malt

Old 29-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
chub1

Liked 681 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
I think I'll go for crystal as the cheapest I've seen the lactose is on eBay and it's around six quid! Unless this is supermarkets cheaper?
C. if you want some lactose i can send some up. How much you wanting?
BeerisGOD Likes This 
Old 02-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #7
BeerisGOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
We regularly have someone ask how to add chocolate to beer. Here is a really comprehensive article from HomeBrewTalk on how to do just that

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/brewing-with-chocolate.html
There's also a thread on chocolate and 'pale' chocolate malt, which concludes the pale comes off more choclately, as I'm off to my local HB store later this is most likely the grain I'll be purchasing of the two.

Sad field, I see what ur saying but I'm sure brewers are just trying to achieve even stronger choc character for they're beer by using powder/nibs.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 02-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Sadfield

Liked 423 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
Sad field, I see what ur saying but I'm sure brewers are just trying to achieve even stronger choc character for they're beer by using powder/nibs.
I'd go along with that, but invariably there isn't a strong chocolate element to the base recipe. Often it seems that many go straight for the obvious addition and not look to use core brewing ingredients to achieve their goal. Usually this requires more effort and can be detrimental to other aspects of the beer.

For example, I've seen brewery's going to the effort of making salted caramel for Salted Caramel Stout, when a healthy crystal malt addition in the mash, and a salt addition at packaging, would be easier and more controllable. With the added bonus of making the Stout richer and fuller bodied rather than thinning it out with an unnecessary large sugar addition from the caramel.

Design a beer, rather than modify an existing recipe.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Old 02-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Simonh82

Liked 292 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
I've said this before, but the easiest way to get chocolate flavour into beer is to use Chocolate malt, does exactly what name suggests and has no disadvantages like adding head killing fats, odd textures or adding extra processes to fermentation. Steep it and add to a kit or extract brew, or add to mash before sparge to get flavour and colour with reduced roasty bitterness.

Chocolate Malt
I made a very standard porter recently Maris Otter, medium crystal and 200g of chocolate malt. I tried the first runnings before any hops were added and was staggered at how much like hot chocolate it tasted.

The end result was a nice porter but didn't taste very chocolatey. I think we expect chocolate to be sweet, so I think the suggestion to use lactose or another way to sweeten makes sense.
Tony's Porter
Jeremy Corbeeryn (Hoppy Red Ale)
Planning
Golden Challenge (British Golden Ale)
---------------------------------
Rules are for the guidance of wise men but the obedience of fools. [Anon]

Old 02-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
chub1

Liked 681 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 835

Going to have a bash at a 'Youngs' double choc stout at some point