How much to fill a pressure barrel ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorade

Reaction score
Hi all,

The primary fermentation of my beer is over (gravity of 1.010 for a 1.014 or less target), I added dry hops 3 days ago and I am planning on barreling tomorrow.

I just realised that I don't really know how much to fill the barrel. I couldn't see any signs on it. I imaging that the carbonation releases some foam again so I don't want to clog my valve but I also don't want to much oxygen. What is the biggest risk out out of the clogging or the oxydation ?

Thanks

Hi all,

The primary fermentation of my beer is over (gravity of 1.010 for a 1.1014 or less target), I added dry hops 3 days ago and I am planning on barreling tomorrow.

I just realised that I don't really know how much to fill the barrel. I couldn't see any signs on it. I imaging that the carbonation releases some foam again so I don't want to clog my valve but I also don't want to much oxygen. What is the biggest risk out out of the clogging or the oxydation ?

Thanks
If you have a new standard PB read this before you put beer into it (it may help you reduce the possibility of leaks).
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel
Again if its a standard PB it will hold up to about 23 litres.
Prime with 90-100g of table sugar unless you are using CO2 injection.
I use sugar and just siphon the beer straight onto it, then swirl it round to dissolve the sugar, after I put the cap on.
Then leave it in warm place for 1- 2 weeks to carbonate.
And don't forget to check its leaktight by drawing off a sample after 2 days and again about one week on.
Don't get hung up on oxidation. Provided you are sensible about handling your beer and don't splash it about it will not be an issue.
Finally don't worry about a krausen forming inside the PB, the carbonation process is slow and the quantity of sugar the yeast is consuming is small in comparison with the primary fermentation stage

Thanks for the tip. I read the guide, very good. I used some vaseline as recommended but I think my barrel might still be leaking. How long does the carbonation take using CO2 cartridges ? After 24 hours for 23 L I still had not pressure whatsoever. Btw I am using water to test the barrel.

Hi all,

New beer brewed and barreled. Now had 11 days in the barrel and unable to get more than about 200 mL out of the barrel before the pressure runs out. The beer is carbonated all right though. Could this be because I didn't leave much head space ? (I was using a 10 L barrel). Only left a couple of centimeters at the top.

Hi all,

New beer brewed and barreled. Now had 11 days in the barrel and unable to get more than about 200 mL out of the barrel before the pressure runs out. The beer is carbonated all right though. Could this be because I didn't leave much head space ? (I was using a 10 L barrel). Only left a couple of centimeters at the top.

Yes, I think that could very well be the problem.

Will it get back to normal once I have drawn a few glasses ?
Yes. CO2 should slowly come out of solution to re-establish the equilibrium with the gas space and the gas pressure driving force will be restored less a little bit.
However if you have your beer in a cold place this will slow things down, since the CO2 will be more inclined to stay in solution.
Finally until things get sorted don't allow air to glug through the tap or your beer may deteriorate

Yes, the more space there is, the longer it will take for the pressure to drop as you draw beer off.

Yes. CO2 should slowly come out of solution to re-establish the equilibrium with the gas space and the gas pressure driving force will be restored less a little bit.
After 11 days I would expect that all the secondary fermentation has completed and the gas that couldn't stay in the head space has now vented from the automatic pressure release. I think he will need to add some CO2 from a canister.

I think he will need to add some CO2 from a canister.
That assumes he/she has one. I don't.
However if there is little gas space and you inject from a cartridge you will simply overpressurise the gas space because the CO2 cannot be absorbed quick enough, and it will then vent through the RV. Better to wait and let the natural process take its course until the gas space is big enough to receive a full cartridge worth.
That said if you have an S30 cylinder you will at least have some control over the amount of CO2 you inject provided you are not overenthusiastic.

Latest posts

Back