First brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunners1

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I have finally got round to doing my first brew, it is currently sat in my garage on a heat pad.
I'm using a coopers IPA brew and this had a small packet of yeast included, I have also added 1kg of brewing sugar, have I made a massive error or will it be ok? I was under the assumption that my yeast would need this but the kit is vague for the instructions and no info on google.
Thanks for your help

Hey Sunners, that is the standard way to make a kit: a kit, a kilo of sugar, add the yeast and keep at the right temperature, then bottle or barrel it after 10 days or so. As long as the temperature is in the range it says on the kit instructions you should end up with a drinkable beer. There are things you can do to make better beer from a kit (e.g. the suggestions in this guide), but doing your first kit according to instruction is a good way to introduce yourself to the hobby. :thumb:

Phew!!! I was panicking despite my dad telling me it was fine after a swift panic call, he's in his 60's so doubted himself too! Just need to hope I can bottle fine and my new hobby will be up and running!!!
Thanks again

I'm currently doing the same brew as my first and was also nervous. What's yours looking like? Mines not showing a lot of life

Hi sunners, is your garage really cold like mine? If so a heat mat may not be enough to get your beer to ferment out there. You may want to bring it inside if you dont see any activity

I'm currently doing the same brew as my first and was also nervous. What's yours looking like? Mines not showing a lot of life
Is it at the right temperature? 18-22*C is the norm. Lager yeast excepted if its in a cold room its unlikely to get going.
Is the kit well in date? Old yeast is not as good as new, and may not work properly
Are you relying on the airlock bubbles? If so don't. Lids leak and it may be well on the way.
If it does look a bit lifeless how long has it been going? Its usual to leave it 48 hours before you start to think about more (fresh) yeast.

Hi all, sorry for the late reply! I think I've addressed the temp it is now wrapped in bubble wrap and a blanket with another blanket on top, I also have an airlock on the top lid too! It's not showing any signs of life just yet but will see how it is tomorrow and update...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maloney, I checked my brew last night its up to temp, it's now showing some movement too, had some action on the top! It smells amazing I wanted to jump in!

Maloney, I checked my brew last night its up to temp, it's now showing some movement too, had some action on the top! It smells amazing I wanted to jump in!

Latest posts

Back