uk holiday prices

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
im guessing it has a lot to do with Brexit,
but the cost of a holiday in the uk has got extortionate..

weve been going to cornwall for the past 3 years. average cost of accommodation for 1 week has been approx �£250 upwards,depending on location and sea view etc .
last year we stayed in a nice "coastguard cottage" in Mevagissey, cornwall.
the cost for the week was �£350,,, unfortunately i fell ill, so it was ruined,
ive tried to rebook it again this year, same dates same week same cottage,
the new price is �£600 for the week..!!!!!!
thats nearly double,,

ive had a look on sites for other places to go,and the average is now �£450 a week. so a little disappointed that our cheap uk holiday is no longer cheap :-(
there are still some cheap places to stay, but these look like places the grandparents have just passed away ,and its been advertised as cosy,still having two high sided chairs in front of the fire :-?

Does any of you have anywhere decent to stay you can recommend,?

Only thing i can say is to get onto the mailing lists of good hotels in the areas you like to go to, one of the ones I'm on just finished there yearly sale of rooms, any day/ time of year available as long as they weren't already booked up, 3 days B+B over a bank holiday weekend for a double room for £130 all in, a self catering room was £120.

Does it have to be in Cornwall or are you considering alternatives?

We went to Pembrokeshire for a week in September and stopped in St Davids here for a reasonable cost:
http://www.stdavidsholidaycottages.com/

It's a beautiful bit of coastline which all sits in National Park land. There's rugged cliff tops and beaches for surfing. There's tonnes of wildlife and pretty seaside towns. Went to the Bluerock Brewery for a look around too! Will hopefully be going back soon.

Have you tried AirBNB mate ?
We've just booked a Friday to Monday trip to Gloucester .
On one internet site £500.
AirBnB is direct to owner , cost £370 !
And that's for 8 people !
We've used it before for Devon with similar results !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it have to be in Cornwall or are you considering alternatives?

We went to Pembrokeshire for a week in September and stopped in St Davids here for a reasonable cost:
http://www.stdavidsholidaycottages.com/

It's a beautiful bit of coastline which all sits in National Park land. There's rugged cliff tops and beaches for surfing. There's tonnes of wildlife and pretty seaside towns. Went to the Bluerock Brewery for a look around too! Will hopefully be going back soon.

thats lovely, but its £670 a week :-(

I don't think holidays in the UK are particularly cheap and haven't been so for years. The original prices you quoted do look very good, but the 'new' prices look about right. I don't think Brexit has anything to do with it. Your cottage price hike probably reflects the owner realising that he/she can get more.
If it's your budget that is the problem you could holiday out of season if you can and/or find somewhere that isn't particularly popular, especially since Devon and Cornwall always attract a premium. What you could do is to say where haven't I been to and go from there. And don't think Isle of Wight unless you do Tesco vouchers the full ferry prices are outrageous. :-?

I don't think holidays in the UK are particularly cheap and haven't been so for years. The original prices you quoted do look very good, but the 'new' prices look about right. I don't think Brexit has anything to do with it. Your cottage price hike probably reflects the owner realising that he/she can get more.
If it's your budget that is the problem you could holiday out of season if you can and/or find somewhere that isn't particularly popular, especially since Devon and Cornwall always attract a premium. What you could do is to say where haven't I been to and go from there. And don't think Isle of Wight unless you do Tesco vouchers the full ferry prices are outrageous. :-?

looking wales atm but again still pricey, like you say. maybe just a price hike,but its a big hike in such a short time period,

I love holidays in the UK Fishing , walking , traditional pubs with beers and food, adore fish and chips, but there just stupidly expensive ,you can still get decent priced B&B in the Whitby Bridlington area, i go to Goa in Feb beautiful 2 bed apartment, swimming pool ,paddy field balcony views, great central location 10 mins from beach, �£700 month. �£600 each for flights so a month hols for �£1900 for two or �£500 each for 4 , food and drink is superb and very very cheap, bottle brandy �£2 .No wonder people go abroad . This country is totally run on Tax , that is why every thing is so expensive you pay it into the coffers for the government to waste it.

i think brexit has a small amount to do with it but not all. the big hike is in demand and owners cashing in on it. the ISIS carnage with all the shootings in Egypt, Tunisia and problems with refugees in grease, Turkey etc. people are trying to be safe and holidaying in the uk rather than risk going abroad.

I'm with terrym
i don't think holidays in the UK have ever been cheap and i honestly think people will jump on the bandwagon and hike prices and then blame Brexit!
A small group of us do a fishing holiday every June and pretty well every year there is a small increase in charges.Having said that we go to the same bungalow each time and the owner does do us a bit of a deal.
Eating and drinking out over here along with keeping any kids amused must cost a fortune, NO it does cost a small fortune. We went away for half term in October with our son,partner and the grandkids-jezzzzzzzzzzzz:doh::eek:

As mentioned, 'Staycations' have become more popular for many reasons. The internet and Sunday supplements play their part.
On Skye from Easter to Autumn we are swarmed with huge motor homes and it is impossible to get a bed on Skye in the summer unless you have booked well in advance...
If you are canny and can Holliday out of season there are deals to be had. We are lucky, we are semi retired and for the last two winters have holidayed in Sri Lanka for the same price as a holiday in the canaries, no brainer....!
That said, we have just booked a cottage on the Gower peninsula for a couple of weeks in July at £650 per week.
We used to let our cottage on Skye at £400 a week in high season and £200 in the winter. We were booked for 47 weeks of the year... this was seven years ago mind.
Our neighbours let their new build 2 bed house out at an eye watering £1150 per week in the high season, and they get it ....!!! :-o

Are you stuck to certain dates due to Kids? If not; fly to eastern Europe. Ryanair and WizzAir are really cheap.. so are hotels, food and drinks there. CZ, PL, HU are nice. So are the baltic and RO/BG capitals.

I'm not sure what your idea of a holiday is, but you can have a nice break for a small amount of money, if you are willing to plan and travel.

What time of year are you looking at?

Tried owners direct? I use that for villas abroad but they have a great selection in the uk. Again it's all direct with the owner.

As mentioned, 'Staycations' have become more popular for many reasons. The internet and Sunday supplements play their part.
On Skye from Easter to Autumn we are swarmed with huge motor homes and it is impossible to get a bed on Skye in the summer unless you have booked well in advance...
If you are canny and can Holliday out of season there are deals to be had. We are lucky, we are semi retired and for the last two winters have holidayed in Sri Lanka for the same price as a holiday in the canaries, no brainer....!
That said, we have just booked a cottage on the Gower peninsula for a couple of weeks in July at �£650 per week.
We used to let our cottage on Skye at �£400 a week in high season and �£200 in the winter. We were booked for 47 weeks of the year... this was seven years ago mind.
Our neighbours let their new build 2 bed house out at an eye watering �£1150 per week in the high season, and they get it ....!!! :-o

wow, for that kind money id want Jamaica

We drive to France most years, saves a fortune, we camp, eat local food, the wine and beer is cheap as chips, a 6 pack of Leffé is around £2.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried holidaylettings.co.uk ? I advertise on there but if you can find the owners address book directly with them,as holiday lettings charge a fee.

Back