Will lager get less sweet with time?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Made batch of coopers draught lager around 9 weeks ago or so. I added extra brewing sugar and reduced to 19l to give it wee bit of bite. But alas the few ive tried bit sweet for my palate. Its also ended up a strongish brew. Will the sweetness go away a bit through time or am i stuck?

The beer may mature in flavour, but i'd suggest that the sweetness may remain.

It might balance out a bit more but like keat said the sweetness may remain. What was the FG? i just did a Lager that finished at 1006 and that tasted sweet after i bottled it. A month later its gone and that might of been down to the priming sugar and lack of conditioning. As long as there are no off flavours it should improve with time.

I would suggest it may loose some sweetness if its detectable by taste or not is another matter. However if stored at a temperature low enough to send the yeast dormant, perhaps NOT ..

Having stashed some beers for months i have found many will after 6-9months start to loose some body and thin out somewhat. I have always assumed that this is due to the yeast slowly 'chewing off' simple sugars off the longer complex sugars and consuming them. if my assumption is correct and i have no idea that it is, then keeping the brew cold enough may well hamper such residual yeast activity and maintain your brews flavour profile.

It's possible that whilst brewing short and adding extra sugar has increased the OG it has also increased the FG. This is because yeast attenuates in a range. So very roughly speaking high OG = high FG and low OG = low FG for any particular yeast. So if you have ended up with a high FG because of this, your brew will be sweeter than it otherwise would have been, so I don't think there is not much you can do about it.

Latest posts

Back