Hbc extract kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having just received my latest order from HBC, which included their blonde full extract kit. Having done a bit of forum reading some gave mentioned how dark it goes when boiling the malt extract.

Now there is 3kg of mangrove jack extract, hops grains yeast, wirlfloc etc.

Could this be done by steeping the grains, then boiling the wort and adding the hops for the boil times, but not boiling the extract. Then just adding the malt like a can kit to the hoppy wort?

This is my first venture into non can kits, albeit might be my last for a while as I have a fair number of them on my brew shelf to keep my busy in 2017.

What you are proposing is effectively what I have been doing, since I don't have a large pot. I split the boil into two pots, one 5 litre for the long boil including the mash liquor, and a 3 litre for the short boil/heat off. Only part of the LME goes into the pots, the rest goes straight into the FV like I would do for a kit.
I believe there are others on here who do this, or something similar.

I think the malt extract is needed to aid in extracting flavour / bittering from the hops (though I may be wrong). Also the extract may not be sterile if not boiled.

I think the malt extract is needed to aid in extracting flavour / bittering from the hops (though I may be wrong). Also the extract may not be sterile if not boiled.

I would be hoping th extract is sterile because many would be using it as a simple extract to add to one can kits etc rather than sugar.

Why not boil part of the extract along with the hops, then either add the remainder,say with five/ten minutes left or just add the remaining extract to the FV before topping up,assuming you will need to and before adding the yeast!
Have done all sorts of permutations with both spray malt and liquid malt and never had a problem.

It is needed, but not all of it.
And as sdt7618 says you have to assume that canned LME is sterile, like all other foodstuff that comes in a can.

Ignore the instructions that come with those kits, they're good kits but the instructions are awful e.g. you don't need to do a full-volume boil with extract.

Steep the grains as you say, then boil the wort with the hops additions. You can do this at a reduced volume, around 8L will do. I add one of the pouches of LME but be careful, it can sink and burn on the bottom of the pan so keep stirring as you add it. You can either add the 2nd pouch at the end of the boil or straight into the FV, it's sealed so there's no sterilisation issues.

I've done that kit, it was OK but not the best extract brew I've made, think it could do with more hops. Believe its Willamette hops if you wanted to add more in a hop tea or dry hop. Their American Brown and Porter are belters.

if its in a can or factory sealed pouch like mj's or muntons you can assume a sterility, if however you buy re-packaged dme then it's safer to boil it.

some places will take a 25kg packet of dme and split it up into 3kg, 1kg etc.

Thanks guys. It mjs extract.

One more question,

Has anyone done this kit, as there is only a 60 min hop addition? I am guessing this might be quite bland.

Would it be better to add some ting for a Rome, I have done cascade, saaz or challenger in my box.

Or would it be better to use the challenger as the buttering hop and add the willimette at say 10 mins to go?

Has anyone done this kit, as there is only a 60 min hop addition? I am guessing this might be quite bland.

Yes, I've done that kit and yes it was quite bland. You're missing the late hop addition, there was definately two lots of hops with mine (as all the HBC extract kits, I've done 3 now) - but even so it was still quite bland.

So I'd go with your idea, bitter it with a 60min Challenger boil from your stock (40-45g should do) and use the enclosed Willamette for late hopping. I'd also brew it a bit short, did all mine to 18/19L for a bit more flavour.

Yes, I've done that kit and yes it was quite bland. You're missing the late hop addition, there was definately two lots of hops with mine (as all the HBC extract kits, I've done 3 now) - but even so it was still quite bland.

So I'd go with your idea, bitter it with a 60min Challenger boil from your stock (40-45g should do) and use the enclosed Willamette for late hopping. I'd also brew it a bit short, did all mine to 18/19L for a bit more flavour.

no wonder it is bland!!

email response!

Hi Steven yes it only comes with one hop at 60 mins

Kind Regards

Looks like I might be doing it with some of my own like above.

That is odd, although I have come across beers before with no late hops - the Graham Wheeler book clone of Donningtons (a small brewery here in the Cotswolds) only has Fuggles in for the full 60min boil. I've made it and actually it's a nice brew.

I ordered one of these kits for a mate in my last HBC order so I'll check with him if he has 2 packets of hops. I'm doubting myself now.

But anyway, based on the blandness of mine, I'd stick with your plan. It's still a cheap kit for 2 x pouches of LME, hops and yeast, even if you have to supplement it.

Given that I only paid 14. Something or other your very right. The lme would have been more on its own

Looks like I got mixed up between the Blonde and Golden kits: my mate has the Golden one which has 3 x hops additions: 60min, 20min and 0min.

From the description on the website, it looks like the Blonde is using purely Willamette for bittering with no aroma hops. Not tried that one so no idea how it'll turn out. You could always do split batches of 10 or 11L each using one of the pouches per brew, maybe do one as per the original recipe and one as per your recipe with Challanger for bittering, and split the yeast packet between the two?

*Edit* turns out my mate has the ESB not the Golden, which has 3 x hop additions and looks like a good recipe (I put it into BrewMate).

Latest posts

Back