recommend break down cover

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
After my latest nightmare breaking down....blown tyre,busted spring and strut...I really need to get some cover...having let it lapse. I've had a look but there seems to be a big variance in price and many companies...who do you use?

Cheers

Clint

I've had horrible experience with Green Flag, AA and RAC are much the same. Go for the one with the better introductory offer then at the end of the year play one off against the other to get the better price next time. Same goes for SKY / Virgin, utilities like gas / electric / mobile phone, boiler insurance and so on. Switching is so easy these days.

Does your insurance co. not offer it as a policy feature? My missus was out with the kid in the middle of nowhere one cold,dark, wet and windy evening a few years back when the cambelt snapped. They were out to the rescue within an hour and fetched them home and dropped the car off outside the garage she told them to take it to ( it was Sunday btw). The insurer? Sheila's Wheels...

Sign up to topcashback or quidco and click thru from them for signing up, do compare prices first though. Topcashback has the AA and RAC at £120 breakdown cashback for there top of the range cover and it looks like if you take the AA £30-50 cover they give you £13 back.

AA for a long time now. :thumb:

I always reckon that dealing with any type of insurance company is like juggling live rats. i.e. It ain't easy and you might get bitten.

I hate the way insurance companies go "cherry picking" be it the young, the stupid, the old or all three plus gender!

In terms of "breakdown cover" I have a 1998 Ford Transit motorhome and many of the breakdown providers refuse to provide cover for a vehicle over a certain age; regardless of how well it is maintained and/or driven.

I would hate to have been insured with one of these outfits and then, after not calling them out for fifteen years, have them tell me they won't provide me with breakdown cover because my vehicle is suddenly "too old"! :doh:

Not a problem with the AA which is why I am with them. :thumb:

I'm with the AA. The few time I've had to call them out with previous cars they were quite prompt and were able to fix the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rac pay my wages. But would I talk you in to going with them? Probably not.
Too 2 are Rac and AA. Green flag haven't got as many patrols as orange and yellow.
We do the same job ... Of we can. Some of our members think we're are the Dogs. Others hate the day they called us.and vice versa. We have people that switch to us cause they were unhappy with AA and people with have lost as they are not happy with us. Who ever you go with ...make sure you have the correct cover for your vehicle. We will all happly take money off you for 10years and then refuse you service for having the wrong cover. Ie vehicle too long.. Or towing a caravan. I would suggest at the minimum take out recovery. I've just fine out to a guy who only had roadside (10mile tow) and need to go 40miles home.. It cost him £145 extra .

If you just drive a normal car then no issue.

I have free Rac cover through work and I have used them a couple of times over the years, always brilliant service and very quick coming out. Once I have had to be towed away and they took the car right out of their way (instead of a local garage) to my fathers in laws garage, without any issues.

im with start rescue and get great cover for £35 per year,home start towed to your destination if breakdown on route overnight hotels etc,never ever broken down so cant say how good the service is but the customer reccomendations are fantastic,youll never know until you need them though.they were apparently started up by some millionaires who wanted to stop the rip off other organisations

Thanks all. ..I looked at start rescue they are cheap but not sure about some of their small print....some says some recovery is based on you paying when they come out ,keeping the receipt and claiming the money back off start rescue. .

Cheers

Clint

Thanks all. ..I looked at start rescue they are cheap but not sure about some of their small print....some says some recovery is based on you paying when they come out ,keeping the receipt and claiming the money back off start rescue. .

Cheers

Clint

That sounds like a chore ..

I've got mine (and they cover the wife's car) with a company called AutoAid. It's pay and claim so if you breakdown you ring them, they send a local independent out who either fixes the issue or recovers you, you pay then have to pay them with a credit / debit card and then claim back the cost from AutoAid.

It may sound like a bit of a faff but then how often do you break down? To me the cost (full comp, £43 a year for me and the wife) outweighs any hassle associated.

Good guide here for getting the best deal: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/breakdown-cover#BBtwo

I have one of the bank accounts where you pay £10 a month and for that get breakdown cover including all of Europe and at home, worldwide travel insurance including winter and water sports, extended warranties on any goods bought, worldwide full mobile phone insurance and identity theft protection. I havent had to claim on any of them (and hopefully never will) but its very good cover for the price. Its the Nationwide flex plus account, but other banks offer similar.

I've been with the RAC for about 10 years now. I have had to call them out 3 times over the last few years and they have been very good. The roadside guys are very helpful and gave me sound advice when my cam belt broke on my Mondeo last year. Can't fault the service and I pay monthly, so its like an insurance policy and gives me piece of mind when on the road.

............ Its the Nationwide flex plus account, but other banks offer similar.

I got quite excited at reading this because we have had a couple of accounts with Nationwide for many years but we've not really thought about moving our Current Account to them.

Full of enthusiasm (especially for the "free" breakdown and holiday insurance) I went and checked it out ... :thumb:

... only to run into exactly the same problems that we have with all other insurance companies. :doh:

i.e. We are old, have existing medical conditions and don't go overseas for a standard one to four week holiday.

This means that, like all the other insurance systems we have considered, it will require extra payments; and even then we will probably not be covered.

Ah well, for a few brief moments you made an old man happy so many thanks! :thumb:

I work for a breakdown company but can't say which (they'll be watching this). Send me a pm if you wish and i'll give you the score on the big 3 companies.

Back