spent grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All mine goes to a guy down the road to feed his hens. Apparently they go berserk for it. In return I get a dozen or so very tasty eggs. Win win!

Most of it goes on the compost unfortunately but I keep some to make beer grain bread with, about a cupfull added to the dough mix.
Search online for more precise recipes I sort of make it up but ive got a few bags of grain in the freezer so I can make the bread to eat with the beer.

I used to feed my used grain to my chickens too until the local fox got to them and wiped them out.

My birds went mental for them!!

I just compost them for the time being. Just gotta make sure you mix them in and aerate well as they will mould otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine just go in the compost bin at the moment. I keep asking my folks to see if their neighbour wants them for her hens but they never have.

Tried putting it in my garden waste bin. They refused to take as food product.

Now just black bag and normal bin.

Anybody local got a use for 10-20kg spent grain a month and growing?

I am definitely going to give the dog treats a go for my Westie.
don't know why I didn't think of giving to the wild birds either. At the moment I just compost them.

Thanks for the link!

Don't give chickens/birds too much. They love it, but they will get fat fast and too much also gives diarrhea. Not that bad in the winter, but in the summer it might lead to myiasis. A bit of extra calories also won’t hurt your chicken now, as their egg production is low anyway.

Back