Dry Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHCosbie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I dry hop using a muslin bag. When the bag is in the brew doing what it needs to, it sits at the surface. So not all the hops are "enhancing" the flavour. Do any of you who brew like this stir the brew to help get the most from the hops? Or do you have a method/ trick that can help me out?

The reason why I ask is that if I don't stir and once the brew has been bottled, I can taste the difference from beer that has been at the top of the FV (more floral), compared to beer that has been at the bottom of the FV (next to the sediment, less floral and more tannin).

One of the downside to stirring, is that some of the sediment lifts.

All comments/ opinions/ advice welcome.

Thanks

Ed.

I give mine a stir each day and push the bag down into the beer, then after a few days remove the hops and cold crash for a day or so before priming/bottling. :thumb:

Hi!
I know that some members use stainless steel spoons as a weight. I agree with @cheapbrew - as long as you allow a decent period for the sediment to settle, stirring during dry hopping is O.K.
Have you considered a hop tea for flavour? I've read that it's hop tea for flavour, dry hop for aroma.

Ive just posted on another thread, buy pellets, they are so much better than leaf hops, just chuck them in and if you can, cold crash and this sinks the hops, or ive heard you can stir but never tried it.
Throw away the muslin bag!!!!!!
A lot of people will disagree with this amd that's the beauty of this hobby, lots of ways to do it and all usually work,happy brewing 👍

Agree that a lot of people weigh the bag. Personally I use pellets and just throw them in ... this ensures they distribute throughout the liquid without need to stir (although no problem in stirring). I don't throw away the muslin bag though ... use it when syphoning!

Use panties/stockings(girls) , the knee section , those are realy fine holes for syphoning (muslim bag hole's are a bit to big) :-)

Last edited:
I don't know what it is called in English but i guess stockings and indeed not used ones ;-)

Ive just posted on another thread, buy pellets, they are so much better than leaf hops, just chuck them in and if you can, cold crash and this sinks the hops, or ive heard you can stir but never tried it.
Throw away the muslin bag!!!!!!
A lot of people will disagree with this amd that's the beauty of this hobby, lots of ways to do it and all usually work,happy brewing ������

That's something I've wanted to try for ages but I quite often harvest yeast and don't want a load of hop debris. I'll not be harvesting from the brew I do this week so I'll try just chucking the pellets in.

For dry hopping I used to use a muslin bag weighed down with spoons.
However I now chuck the pellets into the brew, but use one of these which fits over the end of the siphon tube to filter out the hop bits
s-l225.jpg

Mine came from a Festival kit.
Its very effective :thumb: and much better than dealing with a soggy bag which makes the beer cloudy from yeast which settled on it and then gets disturbed as the liquid level falls.

Latest posts

Back