AG52 Simple Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
I'm planning to get this brewed over the next few days. I usually use Wyeast 3711 for my saisons (which I love) but for a change I've decided to try the Dupont strain WLP565. I'd love it if this turns out something like Dupont, but I'll do a side by side test when it's ready.

Simple Saison

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20
Total Grain (kg): 4.2
Total Hops (g): 80
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054
Final Gravity (FG): 1.005
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.5 %
Colour (SRM): 3
Bitterness (IBU): 36
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 73
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.200 kg Pilsner (93%)
0.350 kg Granulated Sugar (7%)

Hop Bill
----------------
40 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.5% AA) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
40 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.5% AA) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Water Treatment (added to RO water)
----------------
0.12g/L Gypsum
0.12g/L Calcium Chloride
0.12ml/L Lactic Acid (mash only)

Notes
----------------
Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented with WLP565 - Belgian Saison I
Pitch at 20° and ramp up by 2°/day up to 30°

Should be a cracker. 566 is good too if you have trouble getting this to finish. Meant to also be from dupont but perhaps one of a multi strain culture.

Should be a cracker. 566 is good too if you have trouble getting this to finish. Meant to also be from dupont but perhaps one of a multi strain culture.

I've heard 565 can be a bit fussy, hopefully the temperature ramp will keep it busy. I've found my saisons fermented with 3711 just don't have the complexity you get from a Dupont so looking forward to using this yeast for the first time.
Btw I have a biere de garde with your name on it, but I'll wait till I've bottled the orval type thing first and send them both out.

Great! I've just bottled one too so can swap that once it's ready. Brewing has been a bit slower lately. I'm seriously considering getting a braumeister so I can brew whole doing other stuff.

Great! I've just bottled one too so can swap that once it's ready. Brewing has been a bit slower lately. I'm seriously considering getting a braumeister so I can brew whole doing other stuff.

Seriously it's the way to go if your days are squeezed. This weekend I've brewed both days while looking after/feeding two children under 6. Had a brutal hangover (today) walked the dog twice. Done housework. Cooked a Sunday lunch for the family. Plus other stuff.

For me, it by far pays for itself by taking the extra time/stress and watching/tweaking needed in a brew day.

I'm getting some of my recipes really nailed because I'm getting such good consistency and efficiency. It just allows me to dial them right in.

There endith my Braumeister love in [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Plus : I really do need to work on my saison recipes. I too love and have mostly used 3711. Fascinated to hear how these beers go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah that's just what I need. And it's more compact than other kit so I can save some storage space.

I know my current gear well enough to get very consistent results but it's limited in step mashing and the BM will solve that too.

Sorry to hijack your thread Steve!

Well man flu postponed this brew somewhat but despite still feeling rough I have bravely decided to soldier on with the brew this morning. Got the starter on last night and the mash is going now. Now where's my lemsip :sick:
Oh and in my stricken state I added twice as much lactic acid as I should have to the mash :doh:
Edit - all wrapped up now and, other than my efficiency being down a bit, a pretty smooth brew.

Hi Steve,

What's the purpose of the lactic acid with RO water? Isn't RO as soft as you can get in terms of alkalinity?

Hope the saison turns out well!

Hi Steve,

What's the purpose of the lactic acid with RO water? Isn't RO as soft as you can get in terms of alkalinity?

Hope the saison turns out well!

Yeah it is, in this case I'm using lactic acid to acidify the mash a little rather than to lower alkalinity. With a 100% pils grist, even with RO water, the pH will probably be around 5.4 which is perfectly acceptable, but in a saison a lower pH of around 5.2 is better, it helps accentuate the citrusy tartness.

Yeah it is, in this case I'm using lactic acid to acidify the mash a little rather than to lower alkalinity. With a 100% pils grist, even with RO water, the pH will probably be around 5.4 which is perfectly acceptable, but in a saison a lower pH of around 5.2 is better, it helps accentuate the citrusy tartness.

I see, thanks for taking the time to explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One week in so I checked the gravity this morning, it's now at 1.006 so thankfully I haven't hit by the dreaded Dupont stall.
Hard to say what's going on with the flavour this early but no obvious off flavours as yet.

After 2 weeks gravity is now at 1.004, a lot of fruity apple and pear flavours but not sure if it's acetaldehyde or esters from the yeast. I'll give it another week then bottle it.

Hi Steve - how did this turn out? It is on my 'to do' list

Well it's funny you should ask, I took a sample of it this morning however it's not quite as simple as I originally intended. A few weeks back, after a couple of beers, I decided on a complete whim to add some brettanomyces to this, I've been on a bit of a brett high for a while now. So it's still in the fermenter currently at 1.002 with a subtle funkiness to it. Tastes quite promising.

If saison is your thing speak to @serum he's my go to guy for Belgian styles :thumb:

Well this brew ended up very much neglected because it got caught up in the middle of me buying a house and other grownup things and I only got it kegged this week. I'm quite sure the brettanomyces I added to it had a slight lacto infection because this beer is no longer a saison but more of a lambic. Fortunately it actually tastes pretty good, a bit harsh but otherwise finem no vinegar. I'll leave it in the corny for a few months then come back to it to see how it has aged.

Back