Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Kit Reviews > Beaverdale versus WineBuddy

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 17-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Vinotinto

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Beaverdale versus WineBuddy

In case you needed to know, the winebuddy is on the right

Enough said?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1611.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 17-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
Vinotinto

And I gave the Winebuddy a helping hand with a litre of rgj

Old 21-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Vinotinto

Have just bottled the Wine Buddy Cab Sav. 14 days from cradle to glass!
It is not actually that bad unless compared side by side with the Beaverdale as shown above.
It is very much like the lunchtime carafe style quaffing juice you get in a little french cafe although I reckon this is up to 12.5% POST 'fiddling'.

Based on this I have just ordered 4 x 30 bottle red selection through Tesco and with a little help from an outstanding voucher it has cost me £39.00 so cannot complain tooooo much.

Old 16-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
GDog

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 150

which Beaverdale is it?

I've got a Nebbiolo almost finished and it's so dark I can't see my sediment trap below the surface until it pops out of the liquid.

Old 16-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
Vinotinto

Pinot Noir. Done a few now and it is good. Got a Rojo tinto stsrted now to see what it is like.

Old 17-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
engineer

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Hardly surprising really given Beaverdale is a 7.5 litre kit vs WB which i recall comes with 1 litre of juice
albeit in a handy re usable bottle.

I tried all sorts of mods to improve the WB red kits but in the end gave up and tried Cellar 7 which comes with 5 litres of juice and brewed short to 20 litres makes a very reasonable staple wine without any other mods. Cost wise there is not much in it compare to the WB kits when you factor in the cost of the sugar.

Never did try WB white kits though, and i know a few people on the board enjoy them as a staple.

Old 17-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
GDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
Pinot Noir. Done a few now and it is good. Got a Rojo tinto stsrted now to see what it is like.
Might give that one a try, the Nebbiolo on early tastings during racking etc is very promising. Do you do 30 bottle kits?

I've got a Rojo Tinto brewing, but it's a California Con, and only a 6 bottle (expensive) experiment.

I wish 6 bottle kits were proportionately priced against the 30's, but I understand why they will never be. So much easier to do.

Old 17-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
GDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer View Post
Hardly surprising really given Beaverdale is a 7.5 litre kit vs WB which i recall comes with 1 litre of juice
albeit in a handy re usable bottle.

I tried all sorts of mods to improve the WB red kits but in the end gave up and tried Cellar 7 which comes with 5 litres of juice and brewed short to 20 litres makes a very reasonable staple wine without any other mods. Cost wise there is not much in it compare to the WB kits when you factor in the cost of the sugar.

Never did try WB white kits though, and i know a few people on the board enjoy them as a staple.
I considered a Cellar 7, brewed to 20 litres, how many bottles do you realistically get after racking? 25 ?

After hoping for 28 bottles with Beaverdale/Cal Con and not brewing short, I wondered if it's even worth saving a few pence per bottle by doing this.

Old 18-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #9
Vinotinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDog View Post
Might give that one a try, the Nebbiolo on early tastings during racking etc is very promising. Do you do 30 bottle kits?
Yes, only done 30 bottle kits. Currently £38.95.
GDog Likes This 
Old 18-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
engineer

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDog View Post
I considered a Cellar 7, brewed to 20 litres, how many bottles do you realistically get after racking? 25 ?

After hoping for 28 bottles with Beaverdale/Cal Con and not brewing short, I wondered if it's even worth saving a few pence per bottle by doing this.
Good question, i don't bottle i bag and box but i always get 4 full 5 litre bags
with the cellar 7 kits.

I don't brew short with beaverdale or CC kits, they seem fine as they are.
GDog Likes This