Drygate Ax Man -Rye IPA clone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
Turns out I have created a monster. Hubby wasn't a huge beer fan until I started brewing my own. And then getting him involved.And now he's hooked. :twisted: (Yay, may convince him we need a grainfather yet!). Anyways, he loves the Drygate Ax Man Rye IPA. And he wants something like it!

The website says it uses Maris Otter, Rye, Crystal Rye, Carafa for malts and Chinook, Centennial, Mosaic, Nugget hops.
I'm pretty new at playing around with recipes, but I was able to create a good 'Red Macgregor' clone by finding something almost identical malt wise, but playing with hops.

I've not found anything close to the Ax Man malts and all the kind of Rye IPA recipes I have seen are a lot stronger than 5% which the Ax Man is. I'm not sure percentage wise what to play with for the malts. Don't think I would want anything more that 15% rye, but not sure what percentage wise to use Rye versus Crystal Rye versus Carafa.
Will probably have a play around in beer smith to see if I can get anything as well. But just wondering if anyone here as any advice?
Thanks in advance!
PS- I'm happy to have something similar so it does not need to be a clone entirely, but don't want anything more than around 5-5.5% abv.

Sadly, I've not heard back from them, but I want to get this brewing, so I'm going to try this as my recipe. I will report back :-)

4.535 kg pale malt
907 g rye malt
283 g crystal rye
227 g Carafa

Centennial 14 g start of boil
Nugget 21 g at 15 minutes before end
Chinook: 21g 5 minutes before end
Centennial 7 g 5 minutes before end

WLP090 San Diego
Dry hop at 5 days:
Mosaic: 20g
Nugget 14 g dry hop
Chinook: 23 g dry hop

Sadly, I've not heard back from them, but I want to get this brewing, so I'm going to try this as my recipe. I will report back :-)

4.535 kg pale malt
907 g rye malt
283 g crystal rye
227 g Carafa

Centennial 14 g start of boil
Nugget 21 g at 15 minutes before end
Chinook: 21g 5 minutes before end
Centennial 7 g 5 minutes before end

WLP090 San Diego
Dry hop at 5 days:
Mosaic: 20g
Nugget 14 g dry hop
Chinook: 23 g dry hop

Just sitting scoffing a glass of Axman and wondering how this turned out?

My beer came out really nice ,but mine definitely came out more like a black IPA than the more rye flavours the Ax Man has. Too much Carafa I think, so would need to tweak the ratios a bit more. Hop flavours were spot on though. :)

Brewed a Red Rye IPA, with 2% Carafa Special III at the weekend, it is certainly tricky to judge colour. I added the Carafa after the mash and just sparged through it, I think a just about managed to keep it red. I did read a recipe where the brewer steeped Roast Barley in the strike/sparge water to the correct shade prior to brewing. Not sure why I didn't do this.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Back