Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Questions questions questions

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 25-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
philt99

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Questions questions questions

Hi everyone

I have a few issues/questions about my setup and procedure... Hopefully someone has a similar setup and/or kit.

I've been doing homebrew now since November I think, I only use kits and have 4x FV, 1 Stc1000 temp controller freezer that can hold 2x FV's, and a brew fridge with 2 19l cornies, taps etc

So I'll do 2x kits, usually 2 weeks primary, rack to secondary FV for 10 days/ 2 weeks. Then keg and drink pretty much straight away. Now the kits aren't conditioned at this point but as I get to the end they taste loads better - as expected.

So I'd like to add another stage of 2 weeks here to condition. Do I get another 2x cornies and leave at a certain temp for 2 weeks? Or can I condition in say a FV or pressurised king keg to keep costs down, before kegging...

Next question - should I be priming with sugar etc before kegging. I currently don't... My beers are carbonated after 15 mins force carb shake/roll. Am I missing a trick?

Also is there any section of the forum to do like a beer kit swap? I've been given a kit at Christmas but it's not my cup of tea, must be someone's! Maybe a swap someone in the same situation.

Thanks for looking and any replies

Phil

Old 25-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Grizzly299
The Beer Bear

Liked 179 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 232

You could safely add another week to the primary and another week to secondary to gain those two weeks.

If you wanted to free up your primary FV's then tagging those weeks onto the secondary time wouldn't be an issue either. Just make sure oxygen exposure is minimal and that the vessels are kept cool and air locked.

Force carbonation via keg is fine, no need for sugar.

Carbonating with Malt extract might add a little more body to your beer, but can provide unpredictable levels of carbonation.

Hope this helps!

Bottle Conditioning:

Drinking:

Up Next:

Horses For Courses - Experimental NEIPA
What did you say, son? - Saison

Webpage - www.grizzlybrews.co.uk
Twitter - @Grizzlybrews
philt99 Likes This