how to make a sweet AND fizzy cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesimbo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm new to cider brewing (have done beer and wine before though) and have been trying to work out how to get a sweet fizzy cider, as a kit a friend made before was awful - dry and sharp.

I like a cider like bulmers or magners which is sweet and fizzy (and yes....commercial I know! ;) ) which is what I want to make.

I've read that maybe you could stop the fermentation at gravity of 1.010 by using a campden tablet? If I then prime the PET bottles with carbonation drops or sugar, will it still carbonate after using the campden tablet?

I don't really like the idea of making a dry cider, then sweetening with artifical sweetners!

Has anyone got any preferred kits to make (like magnum, finlandia etc) which would make a sweet bulmers like cider?

Any information will be gratefully received!

Regards, Mike.

I had similar problems. I don't like (and some in my family are allergic to) artificial sweetners. But there really isn't much choice, short of buying a Corny keg to artificially carbonate your cider.

I'm as disappointed as you are :(

hypnoticmonkey said:
I had similar problems. I don't like (and some in my family are allergic to) artificial sweetners. But there really isn't much choice, short of buying a Corny keg to artificially carbonate your cider.

I'm as disappointed as you are :(

So if you were to use an artificial sweetener, how much would you use and when would you add it to make a reasonable sweet cider? Any ideas??

Pasteurise and force carbonate, then CPF the bottles :whistle: :whistle:

I make a really simple cider from cheap apple juice, 1.5 litres for 84p from Lidl x3 for a DJ and then add sugar and yeast and trono or any other yeast nutrient.

I do a version with dried ginger in it, which is dry and sharp, but I do one for the ladies (which I have to say works pretty good for me too) with blackcurrant (Ribena) in it. Makes it much sweeter... adding more sugar just makes it more carbonated or if I leave it, more alcoholic... the fizziness is pretty good to verging on explosive on occasion. I bottle 9 pints from a DJ with a teaspoon of sugar in normal apple juice one, but just about 2ml of Ribena in the sweeter one, but as yet I can't seem to get a sweeter one that isn't explosive or very alcoholic that doesn't use artificial sweeteners... :hmm:

Aleman said:
Pasteurise and force carbonate, then CPF the bottles :whistle: :whistle:

Im really sorry, but what does all that mean?! Please could you give me an easy guide? I don't want to buy cornelius kegs etc as it's too expensive!
Cheers.

I presume pasturise is heat up, but how do you force carbonate and what does CPF the bottle mean? sorry...newbie here!

All the best, Mike.

My other half loves dry cider and i'm more a medium drinker. I make it dry, then add a splash of apple juice to each of my drinks when i pour them.....job done :thumb:

Back