what best cleaning stuff to use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi all
at the moment I am using vwp just was wondering if there is a better and easier stuff to use what do you use and why

I like the unperfumed oxi cleaners to get rid of the crud and then when clean I use starsan. It's a quick, cheap and reliable method that worked for me so far...touching wood as I type.

Cheap oxi clean from pound land works well, or the slightly more expensive W5 oxi cleaner from Lidl is a bit better.

I use sodium percarbonate which I got off fleabay. The oxicleaners are only about 5%-30% (iirc) sodium percarbonate which is the active ingredient in these cleaner. Whereas the stuff I bought of ebay 70% (iirc). Also I find oxiclean can leave a residue which is from whatever the other 70%+ is made up of

I used to use VWP but found my kit was getting browner an browner. When I tried out a Grainfather I got some PBW. Used it on my old kit and it came up spotless with all the brown crud gone (now wish I took some before and after photos).
I now clean with PBW and sanitise with Starsan on brew day. I also make sure the kit is dry before packing away.
Downside is PBW is expensive.

I currently use VWP

It works well but you have to rinse thoroughly

on FVS I use a power shower (this is also good for cleaning out a used FV and blasting off the krausen ring)

I am using Dr Johnsons sterilising fluid from home bargains not had a problem and its cheap about £1 for a litre

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I use sodium percarbonate which I got off fleabay. The oxicleaners are only about 5%-30% (iirc) sodium percarbonate which is the active ingredient in these cleaner. Whereas the stuff I bought of ebay 70% (iirc). Also I find oxiclean can leave a residue which is from whatever the other 70%+ is made up of

Hi!
I've just had a look at sodium percarbonate on Fleabay.
How much do you use when cleaning?
Colin

VWP for heavier cleaning of plastic and glass, then starsan...spray bottle always to hand on brewday. For my stainless fermenter I use pure sodium percarbonate from the Malt Miller to clean it after a brew, then use starsan on brewday. I VWP then thoroughly rinse bottles the day before bottling, then use one of those bottle skooshing devices with starsan plus bottle tree on bottling day with crown caps soaking in starsan. When I say starsan I use Malt Millers cheaper generic alternative (but is same composition)

I am using Dr Johnsons sterilising fluid from home bargains not had a problem and its cheap about �£1 for a litre

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

how much of this do you use at a time and do you rinse after use

I've been doing the unspeakable and using a bit of fairy liquid to clean the fv. It's been OK so far but I've bought some vwp cleaner for future brews now. Always rinse multiple times then give everything a good soak with starsan. Quite lucky in Scotland water usage is charged as a flat rate and not a meter.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

hi all
at the moment I am using vwp just was wondering if there is a better and easier stuff to use what do you use and why

The best has to be PBW but it's also expensive when used in the recommended quantities. I used to use VWP but stopped because it was so hard to get the smell of chlorine out of plastic vessels. I still use VWP for sterilising spoons, work surfaces, the inside of my brew fridge and my home dishwasher.

There are even efforts to clone PBW if you google "homemade PBW" you'll see some forum threads. Here's a good one. That "Dri-Pak Soda Crystals Laundry Boost" Oxi cleaner is very cheap.

Latest posts

Back