Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Recipes > How to make Turbo Cider.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
mr_bridger

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Hey all bit of a n00b on here, but not to TC. Brewed about 300 litres of the stuff lol. I use about the same qtys of juice to water as the above, but that's it. Juice water and yeast, perfectly drinkable.

I do however sometimes like a touch of sweetness, so put a squirt (have the pump) of Monin Green Apple syrup before pouring into the glass. Nice.

Yeast wise i use Wyeast 4766, and generally when i transfer to bottling bucket, i dump another batch of juice and water on the trub. Get 3 or 4 brews from each pack of yeast. Don't get no cheaper! Haha.

®

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #12
Global33

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Tea View Post
You will have had around 1200g of sugar in the DJ at the start i am surprised it only got to .1015 as it would have got down to .995 or lower if left long enough, it would have been 13% or higher if you had let it get to .995 so i wouldn't be drinking this by the pint glass.

Was it still bubbling when you took the reading?

Well this is the funny thing. I thought it had failed, there's been very little activity full stop, whereas the ginger beer next to it which was made a few days later in a similar container has been bubbling along constantly.

Took a reading on Thursday and it was 1055. Thought it was dead, so threw some more yeast and still nothing. Took another reading today and it had dropped right down. Need to read more on hydrometers as I was bottling based on what I read for beer. Funnily enough just as I was bottling I have seem some evidence of bubbles.

Back in my cheap cider drinking days, I've had far worse, but I don't think I want to drink it to often. I'll certainly treat it with caution.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3731 Times on 2946 Posts
Likes Given: 4495

Quote:
I thought it had failed, there's been very little activity full stop,
How are you judging very little activity?

This shows how to read your hydrometer

Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013

Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
mr_bridger

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Mostly TC will end up at about .998 ish when done. Unless the yeast is dead, or you used ale yeast.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Old 13-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
BREWERS DROOP

Liked 87 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1943.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	8675So the TC is well on the way,been in the fv for 8 days did a gravity reading by taking some out "wanted a taste really" and its cloudy but very impressed with the taste even though not a cider drinker myself i could very happily drink it.
Question is do i add sugar?? as it is its pleasant to drink,has anyone tried sampling then added sugar and had a too sweet result? or will it get dryer as it matures in the bottle.

Old 13-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #16
cheapbrew
Junk and disorderly

Liked 555 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 674

looks like you are almost there, another couple a days should see it done, most of mine are done in around 10 days, when you add sugar to prime it gets eaten by the yeast and the co2 produced makes it fizzy, the alcohol content will rise slightly but with the small amount of sugar used for priming the taste shouldn't really change much.
BREWERS DROOP Likes This 
Old 27-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #17
Flixonbrews

Liked 49 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Hello Roddy, Flixon Breweries here. We've just made your recipe and thrown it into the bucket with some EC-1118 yeast. We'll keep you posted fella!
BREWERS DROOP Likes This 
Old 30-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #18
BREWERS DROOP

Liked 87 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Big difference in taste between the first bottle I opened over a week ago and the one I have just opened to try today,it seems to be a bit watery compared to the first bottle,or possibly just dryer.The carbonation is spot on though.Anyone found this to be the same? It's nice and refreshing,and my mate drinks it like water so I have had to do him a batch.
Chippy_Tea Likes This 
Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #19
Roddy

Liked 370 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I've certainly noticed an initially dry brew mellowing a bit after a month or so.

I make mostly fruity cider concoctions now that don't seem to exhibit the same dryness as straight apple, but the yeast will have something to do with that too

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Condng: 3L of Mead (Sep-16)

Drinking: RGJ/Elderberry WOW, Blackcurrant TC, Strawberry WOW, Rhubarb and Ginger TC
Next up: Rasp/Blackberry TC, some WOW or other Rhubarb probably

All me recipes at:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqD9OOcGhwesm0Sn3Uv3VMozWHVS
BREWERS DROOP Likes This 
Old 03-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
Vinotinto

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Got an ordinary apple juice TC been on the go for almost 3 weeks now. Still some activity. Topped to neck and bubbles rising with the odd bubble through airlock. For the last week or so SG at 1.002 . Doesn't seem to want to go lower despite the activity. It is starting to clear quite a bit in the dj too. Actually tastes good and I like a bit of sweetness. Any harm in bottling and priming now or should I sit it out until it hits 1.000 or below?