Garage doors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale

Reaction score
Like a lot of people on here I keep my FV and brewing stuff in the garage. I've got my PB in there at the moment. I have a brew fridge with a heat belt and inkbird which will be dark inside (except when the cooling is on and I open the door of course)

My garage door is on its last legs and the wooden frame well past its best so I will be splashing out on a new one.

As I have my gym in there and other things, I want windows to let daylight in when I'm in there. I'm thinking that the brown bottles should be ok with daylight, I'll make sure its not direct on them. The problem is will the PB be OK with beer in it or should I look at making sure it is dark like in a cupboard or something.

Then that just leaves me with the choice of whether I go for what they call obscured glass or plain glass, in which case I will need to add blinds but it will let me see out when I hear someone walking past.

Like a lot of people on here I keep my FV and brewing stuff in the garage. I've got my PB in there at the moment. I have a brew fridge with a heat belt and inkbird which will be dark inside (except when the cooling is on and I open the door of course)

My garage door is on its last legs and the wooden frame well past its best so I will be splashing out on a new one.

As I have my gym in there and other things, I want windows to let daylight in when I'm in there. I'm thinking that the brown bottles should be ok with daylight, I'll make sure its not direct on them. The problem is will the PB be OK with beer in it or should I look at making sure it is dark like in a cupboard or something.

Then that just leaves me with the choice of whether I go for what they call obscured glass or plain glass, in which case I will need to add blinds but it will let me see out when I hear someone walking past.
Just make sure whatever you decide on that it's really secure:thumb:

Just make sure whatever you decide on that it's really secure:thumb:

Lol, in my case they will see its not worth raiding....unless I get a grainfather!

I had a look today after posting this and think people will be able to see in from the pavement as my driveway is on a slope. I'll still get windows but will probably get the obscured ones. Might still put curtains on as well.

I'm also looking at getting an alarm at some point soon and will be including a sensor in the garage if I do.

Brown bottles are good at preventing beer from getting "skunked" by exposure to direct sunlight ... :thumb:

... but if the beer is still carbonating, as the yeast munches on the carbonating sugar it will migrate towards the light, stick on the side of the bottle (instead of falling to the bottom) and make it difficult to pour a clear pint.

PS

Solid doors and modern LED lights make for a secure and economically lit garage. :thumb:

Im looking at either steel doors or some nice expensive aluminium ones with about an inch of insulation and double glazed windows.

glass for windows.You could get the glass with wire in it
Or you could put sky lights in

Buy cheap windows and doors that have no locks. Buy a nice comfy chair. Then buy a great big dog....
When someone gets into your garage...notice "gets",they won't break any locks off or damage anything, sit back in your comfy chair as your dog plays with them.

Hi!
I agree with @dps51 - get security glass with the wire inside it.
However, I would be tempted to do without windows and go with good lighting, as @Dutto suggested. I've just put LED bulbs in my brew shed- it's really bright in there and they are only about 20W. The other advantage of a windowless garage is being able to site the light fittings exactly where you need them.

I might put a desk in there so I can work from home in peace as my wife is a childminder and I much prefer as much natural daylight as possible.

Am I right in thinking that the windows is the way they are getting in? I am looking at getting side hanging doors and these days they come with good multi point security locks. I will also look at a cheap self fit burglar alarm so will put a sensor in the garage.

Back