Fruit Puree. End of Boil, or secondary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntKlesk

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a passionfruit brew to act as a nice refresher for the summer months.

I've got two recipes that are almost identical and both call for 950ml of mango puree and 475ml of passionfruit puree. One recipe says to add 5 minutes before the end of the boil, the other says to add to secondary.

I've not done a fruit beer before so I'm not sure what the difference between the two approaches will be. I'm going for fruit flavour and a little sweetness rather than sour.

If I were to guess, I'd say that secondary would provide more sweetness and flavour (as not all of the puree sugars would be gobbled by yeasties)?

Any advice on the differences between end of boil and secondary for puree would be appreciated.

Dont boil, “after primary fermentation, before dry hopping”

I've made two raspberry beers that have turned out nice. I added the fruit on day four of fermentation for no other reason than that's what the recipe said.

Thanks for the replies. I've been heavily leaning towards adding the puree post-primary. Still curious as to what the differences might be though.

Perhaps I'll split it out into two 10L batches and test the difference for myself.

I'm looking to make a passionfruit brew to act as a nice refresher for the summer months.

I've got two recipes that are almost identical and both call for 950ml of mango puree and 475ml of passionfruit puree. One recipe says to add 5 minutes before the end of the boil, the other says to add to secondary.

I've not done a fruit beer before so I'm not sure what the difference between the two approaches will be. I'm going for fruit flavour and a little sweetness rather than sour.

If I were to guess, I'd say that secondary would provide more sweetness and flavour (as not all of the puree sugars would be gobbled by yeasties)?

Any advice on the differences between end of boil and secondary for puree would be appreciated.

Putting fruit in the boil will set the pectin causing a hazy beer, which is fine if that's what you want, and will boil off some of the fruit flavor and aroma.
You'll get more flavor and aroma putting it into the secondary, but the yeast will eat up all the sugars so you probably won't get much sweetness.

I've made two raspberry beers that have turned out nice. I added the fruit on day four of fermentation for no other reason than that's what the recipe said.
Done the same myself and also with a Kiwi wheat. Intend to try a mango brew at some point and would go along the same lines,certainly not in the boil!:nono:

Latest posts

Back