Schoolboy Error - Stabiliser BEFORE Yeast!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richytrue

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this already from other forum posts but I had a massive blonde moment yesterday and added Nutrafine and Stabiliser to a batch of Muntons Cab Sav. Only realised my mistake when I woke up this morning to see my normally volcanic Muntons looking more like the dead sea. In my noob panic I added the yeast and gave it a right good shake but i fear hope is lost for this batch. Not actually bothered as it was one of the ones that Tesco had on for £5 (as mentioned by Al @GDog) but read somewhere it "may" be saveable by making a starter with some grape juice and trying to fire it away again?

Any hope here or should I just move on with my life and put something less mental on?

Stabiliser as in potassium sorbate or just metabisulphite? If it's the former just tip it away and move on. If the latter you might, just might get away with it.

M8 I have a similar nealy mistake..
Not consitrateing when open the kit contents...
6 bottle rose kit..
Layed the packets out...nutir thingy!! In..n just to scissor the next packet!! Hold on Bri! Stabiler!!! :-)
What a balloon knot!!!
Now I put the rest away...and just lay what's needed.
Bin the brew pal..and brew another..
Bri

Rich popped round mine for some yeast for a starter, but I don't think it's going well.

RIP Muntons

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

The Muntons has took a header down the sink - I think it was the sorbate variety stabiliser but I gave it a go with a starter anyway. 340ml of water, 50g melted sugar and a batch of yeast. The starter went mental and looked like it had ate the sugar in about 4 hours so I put it in the Muntons and gave it a stir - waited an hour and I've seen more energy and life in our lass :-)

Lesson learned boys, lesson learned.

The Muntons has took a header down the sink - I think it was the sorbate variety stabiliser but I gave it a go with a starter anyway. 340ml of water, 50g melted sugar and a batch of yeast. The starter went mental and looked like it had ate the sugar in about 4 hours so I put it in the Muntons and gave it a stir - waited an hour and I've seen more energy and life in our lass :-)

Lesson learned boys, lesson learned.

If it has started with k.sorbate in then what you may find is that it finishes early sweet, if that occurs split the contents into two, top up and restart again.

Back