Scaling Recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am about to start my first AG are but i am quite unsure on scaling down the recipe taken from GH's home brew beer book. the recipe is for EK Goldings single hop ale and is to produce 23 its. I want only 14lts finished to beg and bottle. My question is how do i go about this. I have the brew target software but do not understand how to input the ingredients using my equipment profile. Do i enter all the ingredients as mentioned in the recipe with amounts shown or do i need to scale them back before entering. I am willing to try other software if its easier to follow. Thanks in Advance
Peter

When scaling recipes, I've always used the same approach as Jimmy.

No doubt this will, strictly, produce a slightly incorrect result because not everything scales up and down in a linear way. You get (in)efficiencies that remain constant (like mash tun deadspace) and efficiencies that scale (like the tendancy for bigger systems to generally be more efficient due to economies of scale). The first time I ever brewed anything, I made an AG version of Siren's Liquid Mistress, scaled from 6 gallons to 5 but because of wastage and being new to the whole experience, all I got in the bottle was about 3.8 gallons. It was a really good beer.

Bottom line, for your first AG batch, I wouldn't worry about getting it spot on to a huge degree of precision. If you have software that will give you a result, like Beersmith or BrewTarget, start by scaling down the inputs to 61% of what you would have used, then see if you get consistent ABV, FV/OG, SRM, IBU etc. If they're pretty similar, go ahead.

In the long run, chasing inefficiencies, scaling and modifying some recipes is great, but don't let that stop you experimenting at the start and learning what works/doesn't work through trial and error - it'll give you a much better appreciation of the whole process and systems that are interacting.

I do EXACTLY as Jimmy does and not had a problem.I scan and print the recipe from the book, add the corrected amounts (using the computer calculator) alongside and work from that in the kitchen. Im assuming you are doing a BIAB method.Its my goto ale recipe....gorgeous drop.
all the best

I do EXACTLY as Jimmy does and not had a problem.I scan and print the recipe from the book, add the corrected amounts (using the computer calculator) alongside and work from that in the kitchen. Im assuming you are doing a BIAB method.Its my goto ale recipe....gorgeous drop.
all the best

Thanks but was thinking doing AG using mash tun

Because I don't have that book, I'm not sure if it includes water volumes or lets you calculate your own? If it does give you volumes, go ahead and scale those too. If it doesn't using, a mash calculator with your new scaled grain volumes will help give you the right volumes of water to use. Beersmith has one, I presume BrewTarget does too. Online versions are also available:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/batchcalc.php

Ive never used any software or taken a starting hydrometer reading....cant see the point:doh:

They're very useful for us nerdy types who chase efficiency, calculate yeast pitching volumes and want to brag about our abilities to brew 14% ales :geek::-D

Because I don't have that book, I'm not sure if it includes water volumes or lets you calculate your own? If it does give you volumes, go ahead and scale those too. If it doesn't using, a mash calculator with your new scaled grain volumes will help give you the right volumes of water to use. Beersmith has one, I presume BrewTarget does too. Online versions are also available:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/batchcalc.php

They're very useful for us nerdy types who chase efficiency, calculate yeast pitching volumes and want to brag about our abilities to brew 14% ales :geek::-D
absolutely agree 100 PC
I dont brag and I don't do geeky. Its all horses for courses and what floats yer boat. Personally, and I mean personally Ive found that once I get obsessive about something its the time to take a step back..thats just me

Having recently made an EKG single hop ale all I'll say is that it is going to be AWESOME :grin:

Divide by 23 and times by 14. I use GH book and that's what I do. All water volumes are specified in the book. Do the same with those. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back