Lables

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Global33

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of collecting (and emptying bottles). Turns out for many that removing the labels can be a right pain.

I'd like to stick some basic labels on my mine to tell me what's in it as stocks grow and have a bit of basic info on there. What I don't want to do is have a complete nightmare getting them off.

Is there any you can buy to run through a printer that come of with a quick soak. I like the idea of just peeling something off and sticking it on, provided it comes off as easily. Failing that what else do you use? I've seen milk suggested on another thread. Does anyone have other suggestions? I may have to have a play tomorrow. Once I finished removing them from another 60 of the buggers. :doh:

https://www.a4labels.com/products/peelable-printer-labels-63-x-47mm/23759

I use these now on brews I want to condition longer term. I did the milk thing for a bit but it got tiresome putting them on, tiresome taking them off, and it doesn't stick to plastic either :-? I centralise the text, use different text sizes and a bit of colour on the background, they look fine, I use 18 to a page they're a reasonable size for 500 and 330ml bottles. Come off a treat.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the idea of the easy peel labels, but the are quite pricy. I'll do it at some point, but as a new brewer there is lots I want to buy, so I'll stick with milk for now.

Hi!
How are you removing them?

I'm giving them a good soak, then peeling them of best I can, then using wire wool.

Yesterday I had a bit of a light bulb moment and started using white spirit to get the stubborn remains of.

I just use the normal printer labels, 24 to a sheet, currently just using the kit picture for the label and if need be adding some text to show what hops etc I dry hopped with. Comes off with a five min warm water soak.

I'm giving them a good soak, then peeling them of best I can, then using wire wool.

Yesterday I had a bit of a light bulb moment and started using white spirit to get the stubborn remains of.

Hi!
I use Wizz Oxi (from B&M etc). Use hot water to make up a solution and submerge the bottles for about 15 minutes, making sure that the bottles get the hot water inside so that the label gets heat from both sides. Most labels peel off easily, some float off during the soak.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the idea of the easy peel labels, but the are quite pricy. I'll do it at some point, but as a new brewer there is lots I want to buy, so I'll stick with milk for now.

They're £3.99 for twenty sheets plus pnp, if you did 36 bottles per brew it's 60p you'll drink the other 8-10 in samples so no need to label those!

If you're wanting the labels so you can show off your collection of beers, then go for it. I used to do labels but after all the hassle and the speed I drink, don't bother unless I give them out. In that case I have a stack of labels in a drawer and quickly add a touch of milk and stick.
Other than that, I put my brew number on the cap since those are trashed and the bottles need no work other than cleaning and sanitizing. On my wall I have a blackboard with the descriptions of each brew so when friends come over they can see what they're drinking. And if you get a really cool style of blackboard it looks really cool like you're in a taproom or something.

I use these, they have a Word template and print them on a inkjet printer, they are fine for lazer too, 27 stickers to sheet, 675 stickers for a tenner, super easy to use, the secret to getting them off is just to peel slowly, pick a corner and peel, no residue, have done 1100 bottles with them so I have "some" experience. See my avatar for how they look on the bottles, I pay my daughter (12 year old) and her friend to put them on and pack the bottles into boxes for me !

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making my own labels in MS Word, but not being the most creative I was wondering if anyone knows a site where I could download a word template?

I don't know a site but I'll give you hints.
If you search google images for, say hops, then add the extension .png. So, example "hop .png." Png files are usually clear back grounds. This will allow you to overlay pictures without having those white boxes. So you can start with a color square background and start stacking images to make your own. Now they're not your images so don't try to sell your beer stating you designed the logo. But for personal use, nobody would care.

Latest posts

Back